Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

FOMOCO Radio

I recently purchased a used AM push button radio for my 68 Mustang.  The body is stamped FOMOCO and the dial face is labeled FORD.  How can I tell what model radio this is and if it was made by PHILCO or not?  

Should say PHILCO on the face and part number on the left side towards the back will read 8TPZ.  Post a pic of your radio and maybe it can be identified.  Here's a link to a cosmetic restoration I did on a '68 Mustang AM radio.

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...ht=mustang

Craig R

(09-08-2015, 04:07 PM)VntgRads Wrote:  Should say PHILCO on the face and part number on the left side towards the back will read 8TPZ.  Post a pic of your radio and maybe it can be identified.  Here's a link to a cosmetic restoration I did on a '68 Mustang AM radio.

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...ht=mustang

Craig R
Says FORD on face.  Number on left is 7TPZ  429429.  I can't get the tuner knob to move the dial.  Any repair videos out there for these?

Your radio is a '67 Mustang unit.  Should have chrome push buttons. Yes, it's a Philco radio as there is a 'P' in the part number.  As for the tuning, tuning clutch is probably slipping or the nylon tuning gear is stripped.  If you remove the 4 screws attaching the top cover, you can look inside and get some idea as to what's going on.

Craig R.

Philco was purchased by Ford in 1961.

Thank you all!

Keep in mind that you will still see Bendix, Motorola, Tenna, and Automatic Radio brand sound systems in many Ford/Mercury vehicles from the 60's on up.

Craig R.

I need to test this radio and need help in the wiring connections. 

There are two sets of wires coming from the radio.  One set is blue with red stripe that goes to a bulb, and yellow with black stripe that goes into radio. The other set is black, and black with green stripe - both go into radio. 

I want to connect radio to 12V power and a car speaker I have.  I have a 120 volt ac power converter that will convert to 12V DC.  It has positive and negative leads. 

Can anyone give me some help with the connections?  Thanks.

I've looked at some Ford wiring diagrams but am still lost.

(09-10-2015, 07:07 PM)unit91 Wrote:  I need to test this radio and need help in the wiring connections. 

There are two sets of wires coming from the radio.  One set is blue with red stripe that goes to a bulb, and yellow with black stripe that goes into radio. The other set is black, and black with green stripe - both go into radio. 

I want to connect radio to 12V power and a car speaker I have.  I have a 120 volt ac power converter that will convert to 12V DC.  It has positive and negative leads. 

Can anyone give me some help with the connections?  Thanks.

I've looked at some Ford wiring diagrams but am still lost.

The yellow wire goes to the positive side of your power supply, as does the blue wire.  The other 2 black wires go to each side of the speaker.  The negative lead from your power supply connects the the radio chassis (screw head, chassis bracket, etc.) for ground.

Craig R.

Thanks. I didn't have an antenna attached when I tested it. All I got out of the speaker was a hum and the bulb didn't work. I tested the bulb separately and it does work. Guess the radio needs repair.

Find an old car antenna and give it a try.  You won't get too much of anything without one.  You may also have to adjust the antenna trimmer screw on the side.

Craig R.

OK. I'll give it another shot. Might have been bad ground since bulb didn't work with the radio.

(09-11-2015, 06:14 PM)VntgRads Wrote:  Find an old car antenna and give it a try.  You won't get too much of anything without one.  You may also have to adjust the antenna trimmer screw on the side.

Craig R.

OK.  When I connect the bulb wire to positive it now lights (had a bad ground before).  When I connect the radio and the bulb wires to positive at the same time the bulb goes out and the radio wire sparks.

OK, make sure your bulb didn't just get burned out.  Then mount it back in the top area where it belongs.  Can I assume the radio still has the 2 wiring connectors (one with 2 speaker wires & one with the blue and yellow wire)?  If so, connect your positive lead from the power supply across the 2 "prongs" on the connector with the yellow/blue wires.  Use the nut/bolt coming out of the back of the radio for your ground and then try it (with a good antenna).  You were able to get some hum previously so your ground was OK and you had the power lead hooked up correctly.  But you should be able to tie the blue and yellow wires together and have the radio and light work without mishap.  If not, something is not wired correctly.

Craig R

(09-12-2015, 03:20 PM)unit91 Wrote:  
(09-11-2015, 06:14 PM)VntgRads Wrote:  Find an old car antenna and give it a try.  You won't get too much of anything without one.  You may also have to adjust the antenna trimmer screw on the side.

Craig R.

OK.  When I connect the bulb wire to positive it now lights (had a bad ground before).  When I connect the radio and the bulb wires to positive at the same time the bulb goes out and the radio wire sparks.

Moved car outside to an open area and hooked up the radio to power, speakers and antenna.  While searching for a station I found one but couldn't find it again.  I turned a small screw located below the tuning button all over the place and kept trying to find that station again, but never did.