Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 39-71

has any one found a way to clean the tweed covering
[Image: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag14...fsd7hs.jpg]
sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Heyo!
Resolve carpet cleaner, a nylon brush( or toothbrush), and plenty of elbow grease.
Not working?...try some Zep foaming glass cleaner.
Take the cabinet outside and spray it down heavy.

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

If you dare, try Castrol Superclean. It's a purple fluid that is basically Easy-Off oven cleaner (lye) without the foam. It's very aggressive. Test it on a small, inconspicuous spot first.

I cleaned up the cloth on a Canadian Marconi portable but trying a bunch of things, in it's case it had black greasy dirt like dried up motor oil all over the top. First I used some gojo hand cleaner, but I think I also used mineral spirits, alcohol, TSP, and finally lacquer thinner. Eventually I painted over the cloth with Watco lacquer to restore the doped look. I would start with Gojo and see where that takes you, but carpet or fabric cleaner may help if that doesn't work. Another option if it's really bad is brake cleaner, which is perchloroethylene in a can, the same stuff used at the drycleaners. Keep in mind that this cloth is doped, meaning it's clear coated with a varnish or lacquer, so if you go too crazy with chemicals you may have to recoat it.
Regards
Arran

(09-26-2015, 04:11 AM)Arran Wrote:   I cleaned up the cloth on a Canadian Marconi portable but trying a bunch of things, in it's case it had black greasy dirt like dried up motor oil all over the top. First I used some gojo hand cleaner, but I think I also used mineral spirits, alcohol, TSP, and finally lacquer thinner. Eventually I painted over the cloth with Watco lacquer to restore the doped look. I would start with Gojo and see where that takes you, but carpet or fabric cleaner may help if that doesn't work. Another option if it's really bad is brake cleaner, which is perchloroethylene in a can, the same stuff used at the drycleaners. Keep in mind that this cloth is doped, meaning it's clear coated with a varnish or lacquer, so if you go too crazy with chemicals you may have to recoat it.
Regards
Arran

thanks guy`s

I thought it was some kind of nylon or plastic 
so it`s cloth with a coating
will have to experiment with crappy one first
sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Hey guys
Tryed Capet cleaner and zep
On a junk cabinet
Now has spots and still seams dirty
Are  they spouse to be yellow Or orange  
The look to be orange color 
Sam

mafiamen2

From the look of it it is just a bit dirty, as mine was. I just cleaned it with a brush and dish soap in warm water, and wiped off quickly with a rag. Of course, the original finish will remain, which will be yellowed as all old varnish is, but it will look decent.
[Image: http://41.media.tumblr.com/34e930da94263...2_1280.jpg]

With a varnished cloth cover like these, I think using as gentle an approach as possible is best. Good luck with yours.