Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

45 Lowboy Grille Cloth Question

Hello all,

I’m a newbie to the site; I came across it while researching a Philco radio I own. I have a 45 Lowboy that has been in the family since new. It’s been stored away in a basement for 15+ years but protected and the basement is dehumidified. I’ve decided it’s time to bring the radio back to life and have been researching what that would entail hence my arrival here.

My plan it to restore the electronics to full functionality but to leave the cabinet in close to it’s current condition (which is actually pretty good all things considered). I like the idea of it having a patina reflecting decades of use and enjoyment by the family. It’ll receive a thorough cleaning but not a refinishing; at least not now.

One of the issues I’m having is replacing the grille cloth which is a little frayed. I believe I read here that the cloth was only produced for a limited period of time. Again, while I’m not restoring it to perfection I would like it to be as close as possible to the original. I’ve used the resource links on the site but haven’t found an exact reproduction. Is anyone here aware of one that they can point me in the direction of? Failing that Kenneth at Richmond Design made a couple of recommendation: Soldier Gold and Gold Diamond. Are these considered acceptable substitutes by Philco aficionados?

Thanks in advance for any insight and feedback provided.

Regards,

Mike

Welcome to the Phorum!! Icon_wave
You are right, I don't believe that cloth is reproduced anymore. Kenneth's diamond cloth looked nice in a console I restored. If someone starts making the cloth in the future you can always change it out again.

I have found this to be a subtle looking, acoustically excellent grill cloth to use when one cannot get an original style. Mounted with the grain running across it is perfect on the 48-482, and with it vertically it is nice on consoles. I am actually thinking of replacing the cloth I used when I redid my RCA 18T with this, despite the work of removing the chassis and speaker cloth cardboard again, etc.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/171955040968?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT 

I used it in my 48-482... 

[Image: http://40.media.tumblr.com/62147297e0260...1_1280.jpg]

Good luck !

(10-01-2015, 09:05 AM)stangbuff Wrote:  ...I have a 45 Lowboy...I believe I read here that the cloth was only produced for a limited period of time.

The pattern used in the 45L and a few other 1935 model Philcos was never reproduced by anyone.

Quote:Kenneth at Richmond Design made a couple of recommendation: Soldier Gold and Gold Diamond. Are these considered acceptable substitutes by Philco aficionados?

Gold Diamond would be a very good substitute, I think. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you all for your responses and insight; they are much appreciated!

If you might have noticed my thread posted just before yours. I was in a similar situation with decent original grill cloth. I purchased some reproduction cloth and have had issues. Looks are not everything with speaker cloth, one must take into consideration the acoustical properties of a piece of fabric as well. Now I wish I had never went down that road and left the original in place. I went from a radio I enjoyed listening to daily to a radio I can't stand to listen to at all because of an annoying buzz due to replacing the grill cloth.

I do restoration work on autos for the past 25 years and one thing I find is 95% of the aftermarket parts made for restoration work has issues in one way or another be mindful of that! Yes it is a blessing we have anything at all to replace missing pieces BUT again if you have a decent original grill cloth it may be wise to keep it in place.