Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-1010 Dial Stringing

I've finally gotton this beast to play - now I have to string up the dial. Does anyone have a stringing diagram for this set?

The 1010 is not listed in the index here http://www.theoldradiofixerupperguy.com/...0cord.html but you just might find a similar radio....

Kind regards,
Terry
http://home.comcast.net/~suptjud/
"Life is simpler when you plow around the stump."

The dial cord stringing diagram was also not published in the original Philco service bulletin for this model either. But the 1009 and 1011, 1012 were published. Go figure!? Icon_confused

Chuck Schwark Wrote:The dial cord stringing diagram was also not published in the original Philco service bulletin for this model either. But the 1009 and 1011, 1012 were published. Go figure!? Icon_confused

Chuck,
Are any of those chassis strung the same at the 1010? I was trying to match the diagrams up to my 1010, but it looks like my set needs two seperate loops of dial string, rather than one string. Can anyone confirm? I have the pointer for my set, but the mice did away with whatever string was once threaded through the pullies.

I can't tell, since I do not have top chassis pictures to check similarities. The service bulletins don't help there either.

Ron? Any insight?

I have a 42-1011, and have a spare 42-1010 (same chassis) out in the garage. Will check it and report later...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

mrphilco Wrote:I have a 42-1011, and have a spare 42-1010 (same chassis) out in the garage. Will check it and report later...

Do you think you could snap a few photos of the 42-1010 chassis for me?

Sorry, I don't have a digital camera, and I don't think you would want to wait for me to take a roll of film, get it developed, and then scan and post.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

All right. I went out to the garage, and looked over my 42-1010 chassis carefully. Then I came back inside and looked through the Philco 1942 RMS Year Book and found that, while the dial cord stringing diagram is not given for Models 42-1010 and 42-1011, it IS given for Models 42-1012 and 42-1013.

Good news...the dial cord diagram for the 1012 & 1013 is the same as what you need for your 1010.

Here it is...

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...alcord.jpg]

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That's good news Ron. I suspected it might be the same as the similar 1012, but didn't want to assume, since Philco liked to "throw curves" now and then. Icon_wink Will update my archives

mrphilco Wrote:All right. I went out to the garage, and looked over my 42-1010 chassis carefully. Then I came back inside and looked through the Philco 1942 RMS Year Book and found that, while the dial cord stringing diagram is not given for Models 42-1010 and 42-1011, it IS given for Models 42-1012 and 42-1013.

Good news...the dial cord diagram for the 1012 & 1013 is the same as what you need for your 1010.

Here it is...

Thank you very much. I'll print this out and keep it in my files. I can't believe the sensitivity and fidelity of this console, especially since I found it in the rain on garbage day. The highs are crisp and the bass is deep. The audio level is a little low from the beam of light pickup, but I haven't even looked at that alignment yet.