Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-290

Can anyone tell me how to take apart the speaker wood slats off from the cabinet. It has screws underneath but can't find any screws or anyway to take them off from the top!
I'm sanding it and get these slats off... Any help would be appreciated.

(10-14-2015, 06:49 PM)bigbadjack1969 Wrote:  Can anyone tell me how to take apart the speaker wood slats off from the cabinet. It has screws underneath but can't find any screws or anyway to take them off from the top!

Is there a reason why you need to sand the grille bars? Can't you just use a chemical stripper and strip them in place? Sometimes you get luck and can remove things like speaker grilles just by undoing a few screws from the back side, other times they have it fitted and glued into slots. What they may have done in this case was to use a dowel or a nail to hold each bar on from the top and then a screw on the bottom, without seeing the cabinet in person it's hard to figure out what they did.
Regards
Arran

(10-15-2015, 09:40 PM)Arran Wrote:          
(10-14-2015, 06:49 PM)bigbadjack1969 Wrote:  Can anyone tell me how to take apart the speaker wood slats off from the cabinet. It has screws underneath but can't find any screws or anyway to take them off from the top!

Is there a reason why you need to sand the grille bars? Can't you just use a chemical stripper and strip them in place? Sometimes you get luck and can remove things like speaker grilles just by undoing a few screws from the back side, other times they have it fitted and glued into slots. What they may have done in this case was to use a dowel or a nail to hold each bar on from the top and then a screw on the bottom, without seeing the cabinet in person it's hard to figure out what they did.
Regards
Arran

I finally got it today, the last slat came off as I wiggled it enough. It was glued on, but the others had screws and the screws weren't in the wood very deep, maybe. A 1/4 of an inch or so. So I managed to get all of them off just putting a little force by pulling on them. The main reason for taking them off, it saved me so much time by using an electric sander. Otherwise it would of been a job to do it all by hand. Didn't want want to use a striped, that's always a mess... But thanks for answering back.