Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Phlaky Lacquer

I'm starting work on the finish of 2 cabinets. One is a Philco 650 and the other is a 1940 Farnsworth. The finish on the Farnsworth has flaked off slightly in some spots and heavily in others (see pics). I have been reading this forum and have not yet run across a discussion on how to proceed in either case. Will I have to strip the finish or is there a way to repair?  The 650 has a few areas near the bottom that are slightly flaked off.

Rod

I cant tell if that is photofinish...

If it isnt then you will have to strip it. No way to match the toner and the flaking is too unstable.
If it is photofinish you can recreate it on a computer or if you have artistic talents then you can do it with paints.

I completely redid the photofinish on a philco radio clock lamp and it was not that hard.

First we need to know what the finish is.

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Kirk - Sorry about the phuzzy photo. It's veneer with toned lacquer. The 2 inch wide horizontal piece at the bottom of the pic halfway down the cabinet might be photo finish and I probably won't have to do anything with that. So you're saying I should strip the badly flaked off area? What about the occasional single tiny area?