Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 116B cabinet work

Started working on the cabinet for the 116B this evening. Got a good look at it. It was UGLY (see first pic). Someone had apparently painted the whole thing with some crappy flat brown house paint, then some sort of plasticized clear coat that flaked off into big flakes when I worked the stripper into it.

You can see in the second pic that after getting through the paint the actual grain started coming out.

In the third pic, you can see that by carefully removing the paint I have gotten through to the pattern underneath. I'm wondering, is this photo finish? It seems pretty resistant to the stripper and my efforts to get the paint off. It would be nice if this were real wood/veneer that could all be saved and worked with.

Also, as can be easily seen, I've reglued the separated sides. I have some work that will need to be done to the bottom in the front, as the cabinet seems to have sat in water or at least a wet location for some time.

Hello Brenda, there is no photo finish on that set, one thing you have going for you is that the brown paint has actually protected the wood veneer from the elements. Stop where you are and let the glue dry then remove the clamps and dial frame along with grill cloth , then finish stripping. Be very careful not to damage the veneer when removing old paint and factory finish. If there is veneer already lifting do not get any stripper under the veneer. If you need help with cabinet  I can walk you thru it Icon_wave

Fred are you sure there is photo finish? A 116B would be s fairly high end set:

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1936a.htm#i

It's also not included in Ron's list of models with Photo finish:

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=5473

(11-29-2015, 02:13 PM)Nathan Slingerland Wrote:  Fred are you sure there is photo finish? A 116B would be s fairly high end set:

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1936a.htm#i

It's also not included in Ron's list of models with Photo finish:

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=5473

Hello Nathan I had corrected myself, I misspelt my wording and now has been corrected , my fault sorry Icon_sad I meant to say there isn't instead of is.

Ha ok good. I frequently miss that crucial 'not' when I write emails too.  Icon_e_wink

Anyone got a working email addy for Steve Davis?

stevd47@aol.com isn't working?
I emailed him at that address in May.

N/M... I added an "e" where there wasn't one.

Have the cabinet almost completely stripped now, just a few small spots that are resisting my efforts, but they'll come along by and by.

Now that it's so close, I'm REALLY having a hard time understanding why they painted it that gawdawful color:

Tomorrow, I'll take my GOOD camera out there and get another shot. For some reason the cheapie Ricoh I use for snapshots is really making it look washed out, and it really looks much better than the above pic.

Suggestions for working up a replacement for the bottom trim in front?

I see from other pics online that there seem to be two versions, one with a vertical grain and one with a horizontal grain.

Well, what do you guys think? Nothing done to the sides yet, and only a single application of stain on the front and sides, and a wipedown with paper towels.

Gloss black on the trim.. what a pain to mask it off.

First coat of lacquer. Going to be putting on two more coats over the next few days.

Comments? Not too late to start over if I've really made a horrible mistake.

Also looking for pointers on how to smooth out the gloss of the lacquer once it's all applied.

Brenda
that's great looking Icon_eek
wonder why they painted   match their décor ?
looks like it will be easy restore Icon_clap Icon_thumbup

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2