Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 81 Cabinet Restoration

Thanks for all of the feedback, I appreciate it. I'll paint the screw heads.

I reached out to Ken to see if he would sell a smaller piece at a reduced price, but based on what he offered it probably doesn't make sense to buy the smaller piece. $16.50 for 12x12 vs. $20 for 18x24. I am struggling a bit as to whether I want to put another $20 into this radio, since I only need a 1/4 of that grill cloth and may not need the rest ever again.

Any opinions as to whether it makes sense to put another $20 into this radio? I understand that from a purist perspective it will keep it original looking. However, if I ever decide to sell it will it make that much of a difference as to what it is worth?

Thanks, Bill

Kenneth has an ebay deal at the moment, 3 of the 12x12 (your choice of patterns) for $25.

If the plan is to sell, then i would say no don't put more $$ into it.  Just my opinion...otherwise, do what you want so you like looking at on your shelf.

Holy macrule Andy I's think I's feel a deal coming on.
Would be happy to split the cost and grille cloth w/u.
I have an 81 that could sure enough use a piece.
Sounds like a win/win to me!

To answer your previous Q the model 80 has only one
calibrated scale on the dial. The 81 has two. I bought
an 81 on epay a few years ago it had a model 80 dial on it.
Band 2 tune from the top of the bcb to abt 2400kc.
Not much there nowdays except for the 160mtr ham band.
You can crank up the sensitivity control to listen to code or ssb.

Tnx!

Attached Files Image(s)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry, That sounds like a plan. How would you like to handle it? I am willing to put $10 more into it, to make it look original.

(12-22-2016, 09:20 PM)Bill Bacco Wrote:  Terry,  That sounds like a plan.  How would you like to handle it?  I am willing to put $10 more into it, to make it look original.

I am willing to put $10 into mine so it doesn't look like a poc! I didn't see a PM option under your screen name?? Oh goodie I might get to bug Sam again!!!!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Ok I got the new (correct) grill cloth for the 81 Jr. from Kenneth.  Anybody know what direction the pattern should run. From the pictures that I can find, it looks like the almost arrows (<>) run from left to right.  As shown below.  Also any pointers on the installation steps are appreciated.

I never got any response on this. Anyone know the direction of this pattern? Thanks, Bill

Guess we're all getting over Christmas or getting ready for tonight (New Year's Eve)...

It should be oriented as your picture indicates.

As for how to apply, there are other threads here on the Phorum on this subject. I suggest a Google search on "grille cloth installation site:philcoradio.com" - the search box at the top of this page (and all Phorum pages) is pretty useless, but there does not seem to be anything that I can do about it to make it any better.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Kenneth has installation instructions on his website that he has found to work.  See:  http://richmonddesignsinc.com/cloth_installation_page

Here is a close up of the original (left lower section of the grille).

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thank you all and Happy New Year!

I am finally getting around to posting a picture of my 81 Jr. with the correct grill cloth.

Bill

Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

Very ,Very Nice job,,,,