Last year: 6

Looks great so far!

Now you're talking'....

Icon_thumbup  

Ditto! Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(11-02-2015, 06:48 PM)Warren Wrote:  Looks a lot nicer... Good Job. Now put it the "makeshift" lathe and spin it, use a file to make the indentation mark while it is turning. Of course don't file to far in or you go through it, depending on how thick the wall is.

What Kirk would need to do is find some way to put that groove in there with a roller, a file will likely just weaken it if not cut through, and it still won't look like the original anyhow. The only purpose for that groove to be in there is to help hold the hard rubber/Bakelite threaded insert whilst the bottom of the can is rolled over onto it. Even if it were left off the repro can would still be a huge improvement over an empty hole in the chassis.
Regards
Arran

I Agree Arran, It would still look very nice without the indentation. If I were to do it though, I would just go deep enough so you can see the mark simulating the indentation not very far at all cause your right it could make it weaker there.

I wonder if it would be possible to take a pipe cutter, and grind the edge of the cutting blade flat, then use that to press the indentation into the pipe?

This one comes with an extra blade, so even if it didn't work, you'd still have a pipe cutter.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Quick-R...258905-_-N

Or, just use a pipe cutter to scribe two parallel lines around the tube, the same width as the indent.

I was thinking about something like that but not the pipe cutter. The blade is too thin for the indent but maybe if we took the wheel off completely it would hit the top and dent but then there is no roller on top so it wont spin easily...
Hmmmmm

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1

Much better. The indentation, if desired,should be rolled, not cut or filed.

However this will present a problem: if a cylinder of equal to internal tube diameter is used to roll against, it won't come out afterwards. It needs to be a fixture with a small diameter cylinder and the roller. Like a wringer.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

MIKE!

Good to have you visit us lonely souls. I will figure something out... A wringer is the best idea but making or finding something is hard to do. the cutter without the blade. It is not that important as it is under the clamp but I want to try just to see if it can be done.

ME

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1

Kirk, here are a couple of different versions that I made. Trick is the cap. These have 8 - 16uf @630V film caps in them. You can't see it but the bottom one has the cap flush with the body - it is also larger in diameter, more like those found in a Crosley.

P.S. you see, you can add the groove by either turning it (top one) or by building it into the cap body (bottom) , The top cap on the bottom one just pushes on and off, so you can change the capacitor value (inside) at any time. Both are all copper.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/