Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 90 - bottom cabinet moulding replacement?

Hi,  i just bought a Philco 90 ($50) and got it working great. my only problem is it was water damaged on the bottom of the cabinet.  i can easily replace the bottom veneer but the moulding is gone from 1 side and split on the other.  The front i may be able to salvage  with wood filler etc.  Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to preserve this?  I don't have a wood shop.  i can make do.  Rich 

Yes indeed there is away, New high quality moldings are being reproduced by Steve Davis, Steve also makes reproduction cabinets in different models of Philco. Look him up on this Phorum web site.

Good question - this gives me the opportunity to throw in a shameless plug Icon_biggrin for one of our own Phorum members:

http://www.philcoradio.com/davis.htm

Model 90 base molding is $35 plus shipping. Still a bargain for what you are getting. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I was about to do the same. I did this for a 70, Steve sells it directly or on eBay.
I gave the kit to Kirk, he did the rest.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks Guys, what a wonderful service.  

i emailed Steve already. Looks great.  I can't wait.  you should hear my radio too.  I'm restoring the bakelite capacitors as the current hack job bypassed them.  A lot cleaner. 

Thanks so much,
Rich   

Here's my former water damaged radio after this Phorum's help and Steve Davis' Philco 90 moulding.  It sounds great.  I originally paid $50 but needed the moulding and new grill cloth plus all the usual (and unusual) electrical work. 

I read Ron's tone control replacement steps.  I was amazed at how bad the wire was even though the tone worked.   It cracked and flaked away when I started to replace it.   

I used Gojo but had to touch up the scratches.  Then i did 1 protective coat of lacquer but ventilation is a issue during January for Minnesota.

I have to finish applying lacquer coats when better weather comes - i don't have a place to do this indoors.  I will also take care of the nails etc. showing in the trim.

Rich             

Great Job Icon_thumbup

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Steve made some replacement molding for my model 16 tombstone. It was a perfect match!