Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Capacitor Tester???

Wakey wakey thread. Anybody got an opinion on the Capacitor Wizard. Made by Midwest Devices.
A guy down the road is selling his cheap. ???

Will.

(05-17-2016, 04:08 PM)HOTWIRE Wrote:  Wakey wakey thread.   Anybody got an opinion on the Capacitor Wizard......

That will only test for ESR (equivalent series resistance) ... useful for troubleshooting modern electronics but not so much for old radios.  You need something that will test capacitor values and leakage at their working voltage (see post #12 in this thread).

That being said there are uses for an ESR type tester and I use one if troubleshooting some modern equipment, but never even think about it on an old radio.  It also depends on how cheap is cheap?  The Capacitor Wizard looks like a good ESR tester, but I get by just fine with my Blue ESR meter that is an $80 kit:

http://anatekinstruments.com/products/an...y-besr_kit

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Thanks for that Eliot.

Good points on these posts. I grabbed it since my post. 20 bucks. in the box new, guy never used it.
come in useful sometime eh.

Regards.
Hotwire.

Back in the day caps were not even rated for ESR, so no one cared much. Today with new applications it is important.
Ripple current was not rated either.

So for radios I'd say what John said, cap meter should test for, obviously, capacitance and for leakage.

For 20 bucks good deal anyways.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Agreed, for $20 it should be in your possession 8)  

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

(05-17-2016, 07:59 PM)HOTWIRE Wrote:  ...... I grabbed it since my post.  20 bucks. in the box new.....

That was a great deal Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

The most versatile one I have is a Sprague Tele-Ohmike 4. It sits on my bench mostly unused since there are more switches and buttons to push than the other unit (can't even remember what it is). But, boy if you want to test a multi mega-ohm resistor or really give a cap a workout it is the device to use. There is also a cap tester on my DMM. Never use it.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Yep not something I use much either but since I got this thing been testing caps a bit more and been finding leakyies I usually pass,
Overall The capwiz has shown itself to be a useful tool. See thing is. Being a busy bee like everyone else, When it is working fine its time to move on to something else thats not working. so dodgy or marginal caps are passed over.

I like this thing as its quick to use with the cap in circuit and gives a quick (indication) of a potentially problematic cap which I just replace and then have an easier conscience.

I will keep this thing I think.