Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fisher turntable and TX-300

I have someone wanting me to fix their receiver and tuner. I am not sure how different it is from an early tube set.
I know the tuner is a TX-300 but I know nothing about the record player attachment.

Any thoughts?

Me

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Good luck with it. Right off to bat I see you are going to need a head shell and cartridge and needle for the turntable.

And a counter weight and a platter, lol
Why would she buy it like that.....
It is an AR-XA

As of 1/01/2021

The TX-300 is an amplifer (only); it has no built-in tuner and will require a separate tuner to receive radio signals.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

ah ok,
I am hoping this lady is not trying to get sound from it then, lol
Me

As of 1/01/2021

Question She said she has the turntable parts but someone said the fuse was blown. I read that the fuses are special..
Can anyone tell me what fuse it is and if I can get it?

Thanks
Me

As of 1/01/2021

Depends. Do you mean a fuse in the turntable or a fuse in the amplifier?

I haven't heard of very many turntables having fuses, but if the amp has a blown fuse, you should try to get the service data for it which will give the proper ratings for the fuses.

You can find it here:

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library...-300.shtml

You will have to create an account to download the manual (free).

Good luck.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I have the manual and it says they used special fuses in the amp but I cant find anything else.

Manual here
http://www.fisherconsoles.com/non%20cons...0%20om.pdf

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Sorry, I should have specified: You need the service manual, not the owner's manual.

The owner's manual won't have anything like that in there. The service manual should.

If you like, I can look when I get home. (I have a hifiengine account.) Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I will see what she says. She said she had it so I asked for a pic and the numbers on it.
Thanks for the help Ron.
Me

As of 1/01/2021

Interesting...

Each stereo channel has two fuses (total of four, 2A each) plus a 2.5A slow-blow fuse for the line (mains).

So...go order some fuses. 1/4 x 1-1/4 inch, four 2 amp and one 2.5 amp slow-blow.

Away you go...away you go...away you go... Icon_smile

P.S. A word of warning: Do not run the amplifier without speakers hooked up to left and right channels - otherwise, you may blow some (or all) of the output transistors! Icon_eek

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron

This is the first time I hear about output transistors blowing without the load....never had it happened to me while I was into building transistor amps. Do you know why?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Good?

http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-AGC-2-AGC...2+amp+fuse

http://www.amazon.com/Quality-MDL-2-5BC-...+slow+fuse

As of 1/01/2021

Funny thing about this stuff, tube powered can be fixed, most solid state is hazardous landfill. You can still get a decent turntable for little money on EPay. But scour the web for a schematics and information.

Mike

You would know more about this than I as you are an engineer, but...

From what I have read, transistor amps operated under a no-load condition can go into oscillation which can drive current high enough to fry (short out) the output transistors.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN