Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco 70 cathedral restore

I an getting ready to start  on my 70 cabinet and really I all ready have, starting with the reproduction front panel from Steve Davis. I picked this 70 up  an auction for $25 if I remember right. Its complete even with (KIRKS) copper cans in back (just kidding), draw back on this set was the front panel is not factory and looks pretty bad . The dial bezel was gone (escutcheon) and I tracked one down off flea bays department store Icon_wave I did start on the front panel and finished it while I was working on the scott console, the panel looks great, thanks to Steve for making a great reproduction. The cabinet itself is tight and there aren't any veneer issues  to speak of, now as long as the speaker is good and transformer isn't fried I think I did pretty good on this . It will look awesome when I am finished with it Icon_eek

Attached Files Image(s)

I now have the cabinet stripped, not as nice as I thought, cracked veneer and a chunk missing .( not good ) .The new reproduction front control panel fits like a glove, thanks to Steve Davis for his precision craftsmanship in making the exact duplication for the Philco 70 and other Philco models including complete cabinets Icon_eek . With the new grill cloth and refinish job this old relic will reside among other fine Philco radios from the 1930,s here at the Fred Taylor museum of fine radios located in great city of Garland tx. Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap Will post more high quality photos as progress resumes on this relic of the past. Icon_eek

Attached Files Image(s)

Going to be a beauty. Icon_thumbup

Thanks Mike, today I finished the cabinet repairs and got the grain filler on, looking forward to finishing the cabinet , the reproduction control panel made by our own Steve Davis a regular on the philco forum will be installed after the cabinet is refinished, then I can concentrate on the guts. Icon_wave I also worked on the rare 650px console today , show with the 70 and is on its own separate post here on this philco cabinet section.

Attached Files Image(s)

The 70 cathedral Cabinet is coming right along, worked on it along with the 650px that's on a deferent post, that is a must see if you like consoles made by Philco Icon_eek This 70 cabinet has the original veneer on it and I had noticed that the arch is somewhat a darker  walnut than other 70,s although I have seen them both ways and with defferent grain patterns.

Attached Files Image(s)

Few more pics, concidering the condition of this radio cabinet was when I got it, it had turned out wonderful  and with the new reproduction front panel made by our own Steve Davis , its looks factory Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap

Attached Files Image(s)

Great job Icon_clap . I bought a front piece from Steve for my 70 that I have yet to get to do to weather.
  He is a great resource to go to when you need one. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Mike , I have finished the cabinet today and will get started on the chassis ASAP. Looks very nice, spent a little $ on cabinet and was well worth it. Stayed with in budget, now lets see if I cant do the same with chassis and speaker Icon_clap

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice Fred, very nice!

Crist

Wow Excellent work!

Icon_thumbup

-Keith

Yep. Fred, it is no longer exciting: you are predictably outstanding in what you do.

Screw something up, will ya!

Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

WOW!! What you do is an art! Always a great job bringing those cabinets back better than when they came out of the box.Icon_clap Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup