Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Precision E-200 sig gen

Hi all.  I have a Precision E-200 sig generator and would like to know if it's worth recapping and how hard it would be to recalibrate afterward.  It seems like a decent piece of equipment if I can get it working right without it being a huge pita.  Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.  Ed

If you need a signal generator then sure its worth recapping. I don't know about calibration but you can always check the frequency with a meter ( I just use the frequency meter on my multimeter). If you want to make a profit by reselling, then it depends on how much you have into it already. Check ebay's sold items to get a handle on what it might go for if working.

Nah, just like restoring old stuff. It all has a purpose if it works right. This thing actually has pretty accurate signal at the middle of the dial. Drifts off at either end. And I just don't trust old caps. Like to get other peoples experiences with these things too. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Ed

I would recap it. They don't make those anymore. So, even if you re-sell it on Ebay, you are saving a piece of history at a minimum. I have recapped a couple of signal generators myself with pretty good success. Not too hard. They do the job. They are fairly close, but to be dead on, I use a frequency counter. It wont take you long to learn the settings once you have done this a few times. You can even align the dial or mark it with a piece of tape if it isn't linear. I find my Eico is closer than my Knight, plus it as a smoother waveform output. 

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Hey, Tim. Thanks for the reply. I would like to get this working for essentially the same reason I like the old radios. These things do have their own history, and are the reason the old radios were able to be kept in repair. I have a H-P 3312A sig gen that I just bought on E-Bay for 50 bucks. It seems to be dead on accurate, but if I can bring the E-200 anywhere near that accuracy I'll certainly use it as well. Besides I just like fixing this stuff. Ed

I think the E-200 is a very worthy candidate for restoration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hKcL-4q5Yk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpJZOC27aYY

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

John, thanks for the reply, and for posting those vids. Looks like a pretty simple restore. It's actually more accurate than I at first thought, but still want to replace all those old caps and tune it up. Thanks again. Ed

As a service oriented signal generator the E200 was probably the biggest seller and it does have an AVC supply which is handy at times during alignment. It also has a very accurate vernier scale which can be used to accurately repeat dial settings. I have rebuilt several and sold them to hobbyists. I also have one on my bench that I built in a crystal calibrator that produces 100KC and 1 Mhz crystal controlled heterodyne signgals and it really does a nice job. A last note: I have had to use some 1/8 inch plexiglass to make a new graticule for this model as the factory ones tend to warp very badly.
Good luck.

Welcome to the Phorum eeprof!
Icon_wave