Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Electrostatic Speaker?

I saw this yesterday on ebay and am wondering what Philco models may have used it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-PHILCO-3...SwqYBWnmSd
It looks like it definitely would have been used in a radio floor standing console, but I have not seen a Philco model that I could definitely say it was used in.

Joe

's been there awhile......

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I thought that was a toaster,,lolololol

I don't know what Philco models would have contained electrostatic speakers, if any. The only electrostatic speakers that I have seen were tweeters used in late 1950s and 60s European built radios and combo units and those were no where near the size of that thing. To me that unit looks more like a large appliance part of some kind, possibly from an air conditioner, maybe it's an electrostatic filter rather then a speaker? It looks like it would fit around a blower housing.
Regards
Arran

Several high end Philco console hi-fi models made from the 1955 season through at least the 1960 season used various types and sizes of electrostatic tweeters. There was also a table model phonograph made in 1955 and 1956 which had a small electrostatic tweeter mounted in the center of the grille.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN