Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

I must have a soft spot for Philcos...

...when I paid $32 for this 37-60. That's pink paint and I have no plans to restore that photo-finish. I'm going to reveneer the front with something interesting like curly maple. I'll take my scolding later.

[Image: http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z309/...ckudmx.jpg]
[Image: http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z309/...5ab4rn.jpg]

Well, we all like a challenge now and then! Sometimes you just feel sorry for one and make it your mission to save it from the scrap heap. Go for it!

You will take your scolding now!

Restore that photo-finish my good man...
It's not that hard....

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Quote:It's not that hard....
I hear you....barely.... Icon_wave .......I'll bring it to Kutztown and you'll be begging me to sell it to you Icon_eek .

Not unless the photofinish is restored.. that is hard Icon_lol

Me

As of 1/01/2021

I'm in the process of restoring a 37-61, which uses the same cabinet as yours. I have bought the Re-Faux Pro decals for restoring the photofinish. I have written about it in the cabinet restoration section. I'll be applying the decals come spring, it is too cold in my house to do finishing work right now. If you wait until Spring, you can see how mine turns out, and decide what you want to do then. Believe me, the decals are a lot easier than trying to re-veneer the front. I already did it once, but the decals were off. I sent Tony my own cabinet so he could correct them perfectly, so hopefully they will be right now. The curved trim lines on the curved part of the speaker grill, and the 3 center light color trim stripes were off before, now they should be right.

Do it right! You'll regret it later. My 37-665B will be a challenge but well worth the effort.

I agree, It really would be worth waiting and doing it up right, actually easier too.

Do it, you are thinking the way I was not replace the photo finish, go for it . Here are a few of my examples.

Attached Files Image(s)

I used paper on mine.

I printed high res photos of the veneers and glued them on. Came out pretty D**n nice.... I want to try my hand at had restoring it with paints but my hands are not so hot these days... Icon_sad

Anything is Better than this...

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

What is that, a radio or a guitar body? Icon_thumbdown

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Icon_lol

As of 1/01/2021

(02-16-2016, 10:14 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  What is that, a radio or a guitar body? Icon_thumbdown

Old Foggy on fleabay must have got his hands on that thing.