Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Amazing combo: Technics and Stanton

Technics SL-D3 and Stanton 680EL MKII, that is.

I recently acquired this Technics turntable to replace one I owned when I was younger.

Yesterday, a replacement stylus for a Stanton 500 cartridge arrived. I mounted the Stanton 500 cartridge on the Pioneer headshell I will be using on this Technics, pushed on the new stylus, and tried it out.

It sounded great! Icon_thumbup

Then I removed the 500 and installed another item which arrived in yesterday's mail - a new old stock Stanton 680EL MKII cartridge, fitted with a D680EL MKII stylus.

It sounds absolutely amazing. Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

Pardon the background noise in this video:

[Video: https://youtu.be/oMTgm_sT8fQ]

The record is an original 1954 mono pressing of Jackie Gleason's Music, Martinis, and Memories - specifically, track 2 on side 2, Shangri-La.

Just wanted to share... Icon_biggrin

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

You have a nice player there Ron. Listened to it on my laptop and the speakers on the thing don't go very loud but it sounded good.

Thanks, Mike. I didn't have the Fisher 220-T turned up very loud. I think if I were to do that over again, I would close the door to my home office (to keep out background noise) and turn the speakers up louder.

And I currently am using Realistic Minimus-7 speakers in here.

Tracking force is set at 2 grams with anti-skate set at zero per Stanton recommendations. The 680EL specs call for a tracking force of 2 to 5 grams; I set it at the lowest recommended setting to minimize record wear.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Been a while since I was in Shangra Lai. Makes me want to dig out the crates of old records down in the basement. I think I have a couple of turntables too, a Thorens, a Fisher, a Dual, Garrard, Empire,????