Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Proper Model 21 chassis mtg.

I have restored a Philco Model 21 radio. The original cabinet was beyond repair. I had a replacement cabinet made by one of the phorum members. It is a perfect match to the original. My question is this. I am having trouble lining up the tuning dial and control shafts, with their front panel holes, if I just bolt the chassis to the cabinet bottom. I am wondering if anyone knows if these receivers originally used rubber or urethane chassis mounting washers. It looks like I should be using 7/8" diameter by 1/4" thick chassis mounting washers, but can't find any info on this subject. This is my first Philco 20/21 restoration.

I ask because I did have two small pieces of hard rubber that are a little over 1/8" thick, which I placed under the front corners of the chassis and everything lines up, however the chassis tilts back. Remember this chassis has only three mounting points. Thanks everyone.

I'm not sure what might have been originally there but rubber washers were used in a number of Philco radio mounts.  Renovated radios has a nice selection in the Chassis Mounts section.  If that's what is needed to line up the shafts, I wouldn't hesitate to use them.  One under each of the three mounts should keep it level.
Heart 

My model 20 did not have any bushings when I disassembled it.  I don't think the 21 was much different chassis-wise. Shim it with the hard rubber washers if that's what it takes to align it to the cabinet.  None of us are going to come down on you for it.  I for one believe in the "whatever makes it work and not look obvious" approach.  Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

(02-27-2016, 07:41 AM)klondike98 Wrote:  I'm not sure what might have been originally there but rubber washers were used in a number of Philco radio mounts.  Renovated radios has a nice selection in the Chassis Mounts section.  If that's what is needed to line up the shafts, I wouldn't hesitate to use them.  One under each of the three mounts should keep it level.

Thanks, I had ordered the 1/8" chassis mount washers from Ed and while waiting for them to arrive decided if anyone knew something I didn't and I know there are many great restorers, out there! Thank you.

(02-27-2016, 02:50 PM)GarySP Wrote:  My model 20 did not have any bushings when I disassembled it.  I don't think the 21 was much different chassis-wise. Shim it with the hard rubber washers if that's what it takes to align it to the cabinet.  None of us are going to come down on you for it.  I for one believe in the "whatever makes it work and not look obvious" approach.  Take care, Gary

I agree, I know that I had never before seen a model 20 that used the washers, but my 21 did need a 1/8" lift to align the shafts properly. Thanks Gary.