Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

54c or 59c? Picture added

I just bought a 54c (or is it a 59c?) with the photofinish and looked at the gallery to check. It hasn't come in, yet, but the photos look like the photofinish is in good shape and the cabinet is solid. I'll find out about the dials when it gets here I suppose. With the photofinish, it is the middle production lot? Does that mean a different schematic...or changes to the one on pages 57 & 58of volume 3 of Rider's? No transformer, I see. And the condenser block looks like fun to figure out. Any warnings?

Charlie in San Antonio

It came in today, and it has a transformer, so it must be a 59. The photofinish is in fairly good shape and the cabinet is in great shape. The dials are not cracked. It should clean up nicely. It seems to have all its parts, but it is second in line after the Philco 19 on the bench. Man, Philco crowded those parts in.

Charlie in San Antonio

Nice find!  yes the 59 is tight to work on but not impossible.  The bakelite block caps are really not that hard to deal with.  Mine had them missing and I had to find some to put in.  morzh has a nice tutorial on stuffing them.

Looks like this one has all the parts intact. Now, if only I can be lucky enough to have good coils inside...but it has to wait until I figure out the Philco 19 in front of it.

Charlie in San Antonio