Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Thinking about buying model 630 Console?

I am using an online auction to bid on a Philco 630 Console, but I am trying to decide if I should stay all in on this one or drop out at some time?  My plan is to stop at $20.

This radio could be a lemon or parts radio or a fixer upper, I just can't tell from the auctiion photos.  But the good thing is no shipping cost because it is located about 30 miles from home.  Anyway I'm thinking I should have another Philco in my stash of radios.  But I really don't need another console and if I buy this 630 I don't know where to keep it?

What would you do?  
Are these 630's worth it?

G.

It is nothing special and I got mine for $20.00 locally. It was in bad shape but it was also my first radio so I will always love it...
I would not pay more than $30.00 if the cabinet is nice...

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

If it's a hobby, go get it. For sure resale is probably zero, but would be a nice gift.

Yes, its just a hobby.

If I buy it I hope the shadow meter works:  I don't have any Philcos with a shadow meter.  And I know this one is only a 6 tuber so it is nothing special as far as performance goes.  Just something for me to keep occupied and reapair.

G.

(03-12-2016, 01:27 PM)philconerd Wrote:  Yes, its just a hobby.

If I buy it I hope the shadow meter works:  I don't have any Philcos with a shadow meter.  And I know this one is only a 6 tuber so it is nothing special as far as performance goes.  Just something for me to keep occupied and repair.

G.

Actually the model 630 shares the same circuit and chassis with the model 620, which I happen to own in the 620B version, the only difference is in the addition of the shadow meter and related circuitry. In any event all of these sets, the 620, the 625, and the 630, have a tuned RF amplifier stage which makes them hot performing sets for what they are. If the set is complete and the price cheap enough a 630 console model is a good set to own if you like the cabinet, and want a daily driver, although in my situation I already own too many consoles. 
Regards
Arran

Okay, Well only a few more days to wait to see if I buy this radio.

The auction ends Sunday evening.  I could be picking it up on Tuesday.....

G.

lemon or not, $20 is cheap.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Okay, so I did buy the 630 console yesterday.  I have less than $ 20 invested in this thing.  And the best part is no shipping damage to it because I drove over and picked it up!

I'm not sure when I will start into this one so it may sit in the garage for a couple months until then.  At the very least there are a lot of good parts in it.  All of the parts seem to be there, even the shadow meter.

G.

Attached Files Image(s)

Even if the speaker did not work that would be a very good deal. Clean chassis, a radio with a shadowgraph......

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Good deal.  You can find Shadow Meter repair tips on my website, 
in the Service Tips section, just in case yours is in need of TLC.

Chuck

You got a good deal if not too far to drive.
A lot of good parts in that chassis

Looks to be a very restorable receiver. The cabinet does not look too bad either, very restorable. Should be a fun project. I look forward to your postings and progress when you work on it. Great find and a good price. Good luck with it.

(03-23-2016, 10:22 AM)philconerd Wrote:  **
Okay, so I did buy the 630 console yesterday.  I have less than $ 20 invested in this thing.  And the best part is no shipping damage to it because I drove over and picked it up!

I'm not sure when I will start into this one so it may sit in the garage for a couple months until then.  At the very least there are a lot of good parts in it.  All of the parts seem to be there, even the shadow meter.

G.

It Works!

This console sat all Summer and Fall until this week when I started to look at it.  So far Iv'e replaced the 4 electrolytic caps, cleaned the bandswitch and tested the tubes.  Today with a dim bulb tester, I slowly tested out the chassis and found everything seems to be working pretty well for an old 1936 console.  
I know I will have to replace more capacitors and resistors to get it tuned up and working well and this will be done over the next few weeks.
I will post more information a about the progress.

G.

Very Good!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry