Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Value of a Philco 41-287

Yesterday, at a local thrift store I found a Philco 41-287 ? Not able to see the actual nameplate. The price was $90.00
Case was ok, grill cloth torn.  Is this a fare price? Icon_crazy

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Here's a pic of a 41-287x, is this what you found?

As to value, it depends entirely on whether its worth $90 to you. Others may have a different opinion but if the chassis is in good shape, ie. not a lot of rust and looks clean, and all the tubes are there it may be an OK price. You can always offer them less and work your way up. Keep in mind that unless its been electronically restored you will need to have that done before playing it.

Thank you the picture is positively the radio in question. I will have to convince my better half that there is room for this one if I can haggle the price down. The chassis looked rust free and tubes appear to be all there. Hopefully they will be able to move it out from where it is now. ( They are remodeling the store, big mess. )
Once again thank you!

One thing to keep in mind with many of these 1941 models is that they used a Tenite plastic escutcheon, pushbuttons, and knobs that are often warped, shrunken, or otherwise disintegrating, and you will be looking at another $60+ to replace those with reproductions. Then you have the rubber/gutta percha covered wiring which is usually shot, and last but not least an open primary on the output transformer. This is assuming that the cabinet is in good shape and does not require any refinishing or repair work. So no, $90 is too much money in my opinion, I would try to pay as little as possible for it, maybe no more then $40 $50 if you really like it, preferably less.
Regards
Arran