Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-1012

The 42-1012 model is the first antique radio I bought 38 years ago, which started my obsession.  Did this model come only with a beam-of-light phonograph, or did it come with other phonographs?  Mine doesn't have the BOL.  I don't know if the phonograph I have is a replacement or if it's original.

The gallery states that this model came with a beam of light pickup so that was probably the one that came with it originally, I don't believe that Philco offered a choice of changers on each model but Ron would know. There was a two speed BOL changer that was plagued with problems but I can't recall whether that in 1941 or 1942 model Philcos.
Regards
Arran

Yes, the 42-1012 would have had a Beam of Light phono originally. Since the 1942 Philco BOL changers had problems almost from the time they were new, it is not surprising that it was replaced with something else.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I just went to my other home and find the phonograph in the unit is a Stromberg Carlson. How unpalatable would it be to the hobby if I put in a period correct Philco phonograph that is not a BOL?

Your radio
Put in what you want
For us that have bol's we think they sound great
But they are a lot of trouble to get set  up right

Sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2