Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What to bid?

Okay guys, my radio club is holding an auction next week and there are 2 Philcos I really want- a 38-12 tabletop and a 16B cathedral. Neither of them works, all parts are there, both need cabinets refinished and chassis work. Assuming the transformers are good and all tubes check okay, what is my high bid for these two? I can live without them, but realistically, what's the worth? Thanks,
Doc

38-12 - up to 50 bucks if in decent shape.
16 cath if in decent shape - up to $200.
This might seem like a high one but remember - no shipping.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Agree on the 38-12.

Now as for the 16B cathedral, in the condition described (needing refinishing and chassis work), if the cabinet is structurally sound and the chassis does not have rust, it could sell for up to $250 or even more depending on how badly someone wants it. The 16B is a very desirable radio in any of its versions, cathedral or tombstone. Only the consoles would not be as desirable, simply due to the fact that most (not all) consoles, in general, are less desirable because of the space they take up.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Wow. I'm kind of shocked by that $250. In the year or so that I've been collecting radios I haven't paid anywhere near that yet, and I've got 23 consoles and 37 tabletops and tombstones. No cathedrals though. My Philcos consist of a  37 630 tombstone, a 37 630 console, a 39 116 with mystery control, a 112x console, a 37 116x console, two 42 380 consoles, a 48 1263 radio/phono console, a 92 highboy and a 53 960. The highest price was $75 for the 92 highboy, but we just don't see many cathedrals down here in Alabama. I appreciate y'alls advice though, and we'll see if anybody likes them better than I do at the auction. Thanks,
Doc

Well....what can I say, 16 tabletops are special, not plentiful like some others and sought after.
I have cathedral in works, I only got it a bit less expensive as it got damaged in shipment.
I got a tombstone, paid more than 250 though it is a fully restored one you see at our banner (yes it is mine now).
And I have a console but that was given to me. Actually I had a gun to my head and a demand to take it away. I figured a free 16X was worth my life.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Yeah! I know what you mean...most of my friends (old retired farts like me) don't have the room for consoles so I end up getting called when they come on the market. I am lucky to have a huge basement that's all mine...unless she says she wants it back.

Well, guess what? I got the 16B for 50 bucks and the 38-12 for $30! And an ivory bakelite truetone AA5 for eight dollars. Good auction.

I say! (Were you the only on there bidding? Icon_lol )

Now, 16B - what kind of shape is it in? I mean, almost for any sensible shape this price is TGTBT, so congrats!

Actually we had more people at the auction than have ever been at any of our meetings. I'd say 40 or so. Nobody wanted to get off their wallets. One guy bought 5 Hallicrafters- 3 S 38's and I don't know the other 2- for a total of $25. Although to be fair two of them were strictly parts radios. As to the Philco conditions, the 16B needs to be refinished, with one small separating piece of veneer on the front. Nothing major, but the chassis has some rust and I don't know anything about the electronics yet.

(03-29-2016, 12:25 PM)doc612 Wrote:  .....and I don't know anything about the electronics yet.

Beginner's luck! Icon_lol
© Mr. Miyagi.

Well, I thought I'd start with the 38-12 since it will be a lot easier to bring to life. Nastiest chassis I have ever seen! But the good thing is, it's never been touched. All 5 tubes are Philcos, all the caps are original, the electrolytics are original- so I put a new a/c cord on and was about to start recapping. On a whim I decided to see what it would  do on the variac so I slowly brought it to 90 volts and it PLAYED! I didn't play it long but it was fantastic! nice, clear and loud. Makes you wonder how some of those part can last so many years.

I restored a 38-15 which is practically the same as the 38-12. Nothing nasty. Wait till you see some smaller AA5, Transitones and such. Those are nasty. The wiring density could be twice that of the 38-12.

$50 if you can carry them home and have some fun restoring. So skip a fancy dinner for two and fill your workshop, h''mmm make it $75 or then pass onto the next one. There will be more.