Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1930 Philco model 30, 41, or 96?

Just picked up this 1930 Philco highboy and I've identified it as either the model 30, 41, or 96. I've downloaded the schematics for all 3 and it doesn't seem to match the chassis I have. This one appears to be a 7 tube unit (tubes are missing) and the schematic shows either a 6 tube or 8 tube. Not quite sure which model I have. Any ideas on what to look for?

A picture of the chassis would be a big help in narrowing it down, but you may be able to deduce the model from this info:

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tube/tubeman.htm

http://philcoradio.com/gallery/index.htm

Go here, look for 1930, all seasons, see if it is there.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Here's a front view.

Attached Files Image(s)

Can you show the chassis?

Better yet, count the tubes.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

There are 8 sockets, and one of them is for the speaker, the other 7 for tubes.

Attached Files Image(s)

Cannot be 30 or 41, as those are battery or DC and this one has transformer.

Can be 76 or 77.

Don't think it's a 76 different cabinet. I'd bet on the 77. There may be a decal on one of the aluminum rf coil shields with the model number on it. The 95 and 96 would have more tubes and a large shield that covers the rf and detector tubes.
Just some thoughts
Terry

The chassis matches either the 76 or 77 but the cabinet matches neither. Is there a possibility of a chassis swap in the past?

Philco materials I have studied in the past indicate that the 77 chassis was not used in the highboy cabinet...

but, barring a chassis swap at some time in the past, this wouldn't be the first time Philco's documentation said one thing and a real life radio proved the opposite.

In other words...maybe this 77 highboy is legit...and maybe the chassis was swapped at some point in time?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Once I get the tubes for this chassis what do I need to know about it as I haven't worked on one this old before. It has had a little work done to it but it seems that the schematics don't have all the information that makes it easier for an amateur like myself. I see there should have been a shield over the top of the type 24 tubes. Is that going to be difficult to locate as well?

If I were working on it I would order a clear set of schematics and info from Chuck Schwark for a few bucks. You will need to replace the paper caps and electrolytics (if it has any), check and/or replace resistors, check all transformers for continuity. If you are new to vintage radio redtoration, here's a good read from Phil Nelson.

Swapmeets....old chassis' sold around....I am sure somehow the cousins' of your radio's, the 30, 41, 76, 96/97, 86/87 shields that all look similar, can be easily modified to fit yours.

It looks like there are 3 transformers on the chassis, the main power, one audio, and the third I'm not sure what it is. The schematic from nostalgia air is fairly plain and has little information. How much more comprehensive are the purchased schematics?

The third one is the filter choke. #27 on the sch.