Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Source for 1941 repro escutcheon?

Looks like the company that was making these has stopped production.  Does anyone know if any of the companies that were distributing these still has any left?  I tried Radio Daze and Great Northern to no avail.

Maybe someone has one that they did not use, or ended up using on a radio that turned out not to be restorable and wouldn't mind parting with it?

I'm looking for the marbeled brown plastic escutcheon for slide rule dial with pushbuttons such as used on the 41-250.

Tom

Hi Tom:

I have seen your work i the Radio Attic, you do neat work! Anybody in CHRS have one, maybe Mark Oppat, I thought at one time Renovated Radios carried them but did not see any there last time I visited. Did anybody take over the biz or did it go when Larry passed?

Paul

Tubetalk1

I too am restoring a 41-290, have tried many and what I thought we're all distributors of the late Larry B's Old Time Replications. And Thanks to Dales Antique Radio, of which he gave me other avenues to search, including Larry's brothers contact, still nothing. Currently, I'm looking into replicating it, and if so, will try to make a change to it to include the gold outline, just inside the perimeter. This is only if I can't find one of Larry's or better yet, NOS.

(04-20-2016, 01:34 AM)Tom Albrecht Wrote:  Looks like the company that was making these has stopped production.  Does anyone know if any of the companies that were distributing these still has any left?  I tried Radio Daze and Great Northern to no avail.

Maybe someone has one that they did not use, or ended up using on a radio that turned out not to be restorable and wouldn't mind parting with it?

I'm looking for the marbeled brown plastic escutcheon for slide rule dial with pushbuttons such as used on the 41-250.

Tom

If anyone wants to try 3-D printing, or make a new mold for the part, I'd be happy to make a very precise CAD model and/or drawing for the part.

With 3-D printing, the surface finish might be quite rough, so some kind of sanding and/or polishing might be needed to end up with a decent part.  It might also have to be painted, since the selection of plastic colors might be quite limited.  And marbeling would probably be out of the question.  A nice uniform color escutcheon would still be better than nothing.

The best thing, of course, would be for someone to obtain the mold that Larry was using, and get a molding shop to mold another 100 copies or so.  At $40 a pop, or whatever the price was, it could break even and make a profit at a fairly low volume of sales.

I should have some available in about a week.
Ed

Ed Schutz
RenovatedRadios

Ed, welcome to the Phorum. We are excited to have you with us. Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap  I have heard nothing but good things about your reproduction parts.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Welcome to the Phorum Ed!
Icon_wave

(06-23-2016, 07:58 AM)Steve Davis Wrote:  ...I have heard nothing but good things about your reproduction parts.

...that's because Ed does top quality work...just like Steve Davis does with cabinets and cabinet trim... Icon_wink

Welcome back, Ed! Icon_wave We've missed your input, and are glad to have you back with us.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ed
I will be waiting for one of those also. Thanks and welcome. Icon_clap  Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup
Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

Hello Ed!  You are about to become one of my best friends!!  If I'm not mistaken, the escutcheon for the  41-250 is the same part I've been looking for for my 41-280. ( correct me if I'm wrong Ron )  If that's the case, put me down for one as well.  PM me with price and ordering info when you get a chance.  I was getting so desperate I was going to try to machine a reproduction out of a sheet of 1/8 inch aluminum, then paint it to try and match the original.  What a PITA!  Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I have the 1941 Philco escutcheon on my site now. The '42 should appear tomorrow.
Ed