Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What are these called?

Does anyone know what these are called and where I might get some? The hold the backs on. I bought some about a year ago but I don't remember where.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Renovated Radios used to sell them.

Gregb

Split pins is what they are called.

http://www.renovatedradios.com/assets/im...mounts.jpg

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks guys.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL

They still do, $1.25 each.  Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

Yup. Bought 10 of them. 

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL

$1.25 each for a fraction of a gram piece of cheap nylon.....dos iz a gut gesheft. Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Well Mike, since I couldn't find them at Walmart, I figured I had no choice!

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL

Eric

I could almost swear I saw something like it way before I got into the hobby. And more than one time. But hey, they make it to the spec etc etc, so ....we pay 10 bucks for a knob for golly's sake. Bud you have to admit, it's a good return on material's cost Icon_smile

I don't think anyone is getting rich making knobs or those metal Trimounts.  Unfortunately those are all low demand products and can't be mass manufactured like the old days.  I've seen the process for making knobs and it is neither cheap or easy, plus the molds have a limited life before they have to be remade.

Buy a mold kit for $50 or $60 (plus dyes) and when your first few knobs come out the wrong color or with bubbles on the surface those $10 knobs don't look so bad anymore.  Same way with those Trimounts, buy the material to make them, cut or stamp them out and when you figure out your time is worth more than spending an afternoon trying to make a half dozen that look like crap, then $1.25 doesn't look so bad anymore. 

We're just lucky someone is taking the time to make this stuff for us.  Since Larry Bordernero passed (Old-Time Replications) we've lost the source for many of the large Philco escutcheons unless someone takes on the task of making them again.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Thank you John! You worded that so much better than what I was thinking.
Thank goodness the folks are around that take the time and make the effort to do these reproductions for our very limited market. I am in manufacturing and know what costs are involved and we as a hobby should be jumping for joy that these repo items are even available and at the extremely LOW prices as well.
Sorry for the folks that think these things are priced high, THEY ARE NOT.

Gregb

Possibly a small split rivet could be used if one spread it open a little bit.
                                                              Henry