Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My 'new' Philco 630 CSX chairside!

Yes, that's right.  Over on the other forum, one of the east coasters turned up a Philco 630 CSX last month.

When I expressed my extreme envy and desire for such a thang, we got to talking about a trade, and worked it out.

So now I have my very own Philco chairside.  Whoo-Hoo!  Pretty excited about this.  Yes, it's pretty rough, but it's a diamond in the rough.  What a great little radio.  Stoutly built.  Knobs on the way... they didn't make it in the first box.

One thing it's gonna need, though, is a new dial glass.  It's peeling and doesn't look that great.  What other radios used this dial glass?  Was it unique to the 630s and 635s, or were there other radios that used it to, like the 640s and 645s?

Pictures!

Attached Files Image(s)

A couple pics of what it looks like as a side table, between two open frame chairs (Ikea Poangs).  In our final desired layout of our living room, we have a couple upholstered 1930s art deco chairs planned.  I'm sure this will look stunning between them, but it may not sound as great.

Attached Files Image(s)

Congrats on your new chairside! A very cool radio indeed.  Icon_thumbup

I finally understand what the inverted dial looks like from your picture. Really neat!

Like you I've been looking for one of these later chairsides to join my 370. I decided to take the plunge with a late version 16RX that was on eBay. It was local pickup only but I was able to arrange pickup and shipping with the seller's help. It should arrive soon - hopefully in one piece (well, two pieces).

Yeah, I saw that 16RX... very drool worthy! You got a very nice radio there!

Looking at it again reminds me... what's the switch for down at the bottom edge?

(04-24-2016, 01:31 PM)palegreenthumb Wrote:  Yeah, I saw that 16RX... very drool worthy!  You got a very nice radio there!

Looking at it again reminds me... what's the switch for down at the bottom edge?

The purpose of the switch on the model 16 changed from AVC enable/disable to bass boost in later versions. According to this service hint only the code 121 and 122 had AVC function.

According to this discussion the 16 chairside is either a code 123 (5 bands) or 127 (4 bands) chassis. I can't quite make out the code # on the chassis sticker from the eBay auction - but since it has a horizontal power transformer I believe that should make it a code 127 - and in fact 4 bands.

Either way I'm going to say that switch is for bass boost. Icon_smile

RE: your question about the dial glass. Here is the dial glass from my 645 (tombstone):

Measures 4 1/8"H x 2 15/16"W. Sure looks the same to me (just inverted on the CSX).

I've got one of those inverted dial jobs too a 660L. It's a big set.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/53710524@N...ateposted/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/53710524@N...ateposted/
Don't think it was popular as I've only seen one other and there isn't a pic in
the gallery. As far as I know there is two sizes of those escutcheons. Yours is
the larger one. It's also used on the 116P and 116X.

Nathan, Too bad you are
on the left coast. I have a little 19LZX
that has just been gathering dust.

Terry

Wow Terry, that 660L certainly is a rare bird - only 1,000 made:
http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1936a.htm#ao

The 19LZX is a really cool chairside too.
So many great Philcos, so little (wife-approved) space.

Thanks, Nathan! 4-1/8" x 2-15/16" seems to be the same size as the 630 escutcheon, so I think that dial glass must be identical. That's good! Better chance of finding one.

Love those Philco chairsides! I have a 29CSX and a 38-7CS. There was one north of me this weekend on CL, that was listed on Saturday evening and sold on Sunday. Not sure what model it was, as the photo wasn't too clear, but looked like a 38 model.

Great trade for you! Looking forward to your restoration pics!

(04-24-2016, 10:08 PM)Nathan Slingerland Wrote:  Wow Terry, that 660L certainly is a rare bird - only 1,000 made:
http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1936a.htm#ao

The 19LZX is a really cool chairside too.
So many great Philcos, so little (wife-approved) space.

Too many chairside not enough chairs!!
The 660L was an epay find price was good
but had to drive abt 7hrs round trip. It
was up Mass. poaching up in Paul's territory.

Terry

If life gives you melons you maybe lisdexic