Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 20 Baby Grand Movie Star!

That chassis looks really tidy - and I like the gold personally - I think it tells the story of the radio... Me personally, I'd keep it that way because it does go with the history you know (and the history you can only imagine) the radio has. Just be glad its not mustard yellow Icon_smile

Its really nice, and the story with it is just awesome... congratulations on becoming the latest caretaker for this great piece of history.

There are no personal problems that can't be overcome with the liberal application of high explosives

Thanks Steve. I realize that this is a fairly common model Philco, but being an old 1930's movie fan since I was a teenager, this radio has dual interest for me. I'm hoping that someone out there will eventually have some info on the charity auction this one was part of. So far searching hasn't found anything.
Like you, I believe we are just the caretakers of the old things in our charge. It will retain the finish that's on it while I own it. An upgrade to a better used speaker cloth, or appropriately aged new cloth, would be my only contribution.
Steve

That's a pretty unique piece with some very interesting history, I'm glad you are going preserve it as found.  I wonder if a gentle application of GoJo might remove some of the black on the cabinet?

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

John,
Being a big fan of "the GoJo Treatment", I considered what that would do to the finish. It looks like they brushed on the gold and some areas have aged differently than others, most likely due to a second coat in those areas. I feel that I might change the remaining finish for the worse, if I try any cleaning with more than a moist cloth. The gold has darkened with the past 85+ years and looks great in person. I cleaned some tiny white paint dots from a long ago ceiling paint job in a room where this thing sat. Other than a better speaker cloth, I think I'll leave it as it sits.
Steve

It also looks like there may have been a dark primer coat under the gold. I think that's what's producing the dark areas on the front and the sides of the cabinet.

Well, since you can see the cabinet in person you're a much better judge of what is going on.  In-any-case, it is a very interesting radio.  A quick search shows that Mary Brian lived to be 96!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

SteveG - I would like to add my congratulations on an amazing find! Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron. Hoping you can find some speaker cloth at KT for me!