Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

can a 41-280 escutcheon go into a 42-380 cabinet?

Have a battered 41-280, someone parked it in a shed for 30 years and the sides warped.  Would like to salvage the faceplate, buttons, glass, etc. but perhaps have them put into a 42-380 body that's in better shape.  Is this even remotely feasible?  And if so, how would I clean up the buttons?

Thanks!

Hi Debra,

Yes - if you remove everything from the 41-280 cabinet, it should all fit in the 42-380 cabinet.

You can't use a 42-380 escutcheon with a 41-280 chassis and vice versa, though, because the 41-280 has 8 pushbuttons and the 42-380 has 9.

Bob has alrady given you some good advice on cleaning the knobs and pushbuttons here.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(04-26-2016, 05:07 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Hi Debra,

Yes - if you remove everything from the 41-280 cabinet, it should all fit in the 42-380 cabinet.

You can't use a 42-380 escutcheon with a 41-280 chassis and vice versa, though, because the 41-280 has 8 pushbuttons and the 42-380 has 9.

Bob has alrady given you some good advice on cleaning the knobs and pushbuttons here.

Thanks for the info on switching out chassis, and also Bob's info on the buttons.  I've worked on the buttons and they improved, but do show considerable wear.  Will have to get "new" ones from http://www.renovatedradios.com/parts.html.  Do you know if there is more than one type for the 1941 consoles (41-280 and/or 42-380), that is, long, short, etc.???

Also re the band below the buttons, is that copper?  I saw the advice about not using Brasso on it....
  Thanks!!
~Debra

(04-27-2016, 04:44 PM)debra Wrote:  Also re the band below the buttons, is that copper?  I saw the advice about not using Brasso on it....
  Thanks!!
~Debra

Hi Debra. The metal strip is brass I believe. If you use Brasso, i will remove a clear coating and get down to the actual metal. That also may remove the lettering. ( I forget if the lettering is flush with the strip, or if it is lower.) In other words filled with a paint.  If your strip is very badly tarnished, no amount of polishing that clear surface will get rid of it.
Also if the lettering is  not indented below the surface, you'd have to apply decals or lettering to replace it.
That's the worse case scenario. A lot of work to remove the old clear, polish the metal back bright, and then letter it, then coat with a clear to prevent tarnishing.  But, it can be done...
Good luck!

(04-29-2016, 09:45 PM)gary rabbitt Wrote:  
(04-27-2016, 04:44 PM)debra Wrote:  Also re the band below the buttons, is that copper?  I saw the advice about not using Brasso on it....
  Thanks!!
~Debra

Hi Debra. The metal strip is brass I believe. If you use Brasso, i will remove a clear coating and get down to the actual metal. That also may remove the lettering. ( I forget if the lettering is flush with the strip, or if it is lower.) In other words filled with a paint.  If your strip is very badly tarnished, no amount of polishing that clear surface will get rid of it.
Also if the lettering is  not indented below the surface, you'd have to apply decals or lettering to replace it.
That's the worse case scenario. A lot of work to remove the old clear, polish the metal back bright, and then letter it, then coat with a clear to prevent tarnishing.  But, it can be done...
Good luck!

Gary;
  I'm pretty sure that the lettering is embossed in the brass strip in some way, and then filled with paint, if it was not the lettering would have rubbed off on most of them a long time ago.
Regards
Arran