Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco paper capacitors

Hi,I,m a new user,working on Philco 116-121.Looking for value of the following.
30-4185-x and 30-4185-p.Both are in tone switch assembly.
Thanks, Dennis

Denis

Welcome.

I could only find 116B code 121 sch on Nostalgia, the tone switch shows three caps, 10nF and two 3nF.
Do you have the sch link?
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/122/M0013122.htm

The Philcoradio 116px shows the same sch with two 10nF and one 3nF
http://philcoradio.com/tech/images/116px.jpg

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hi Dennis & Welcome to the Phorum,
The 121 is the table model and chairside the 122 is
the console or 116X. Both are great players
for 1936 sets. The console is bit better
more robust audio and bigger spkr

Terry N3GTE
ps. Hey Mike I don't see ANY nF caps. Where are they???? I can only find mmf and mf sizes.
Just a pet peeve of this old man.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

RadioroslynHi Dennis & Welcome to the Phorum,
The 121 is the table model and chairside the 122 is
the console or 116X. Both are great players
for 1936 sets. The console is bit better
more robust audio and bigger spkr

Terry N3GTE
ps. Hey Mike I don't see ANY nF caps. Where are they???? I can only find mmf and mf sizes.
Just a pet peeve of this old man.

Tom-ay-toes
Tom-ah-tohs
Poh-tay-toes
Poh-tah-tohs

Now if I say "kilo-herz" instead of "kilocycles" you are grabbing the Philco test mallet and going after me? Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

No no just using the nF causes my old soft brain to have to move a decimal point. Now granted there is mf and uf but they are the same. No decimal point to move. It's a bit like going to the auto parts store and saying I need 16 cups of motor oill. It requires a calculation (brain work). I'm a simple kinda guy. Just as a practical matter it's confusing to newbies because they won't find it used very much. Not on tube schematics or parts houses that supply us with are little yellow friends.
I think the first time I saw it was about 10 or 15yrs ago used on some homebrew ham radio projects schematics from Europe. Is it used more in Europe?
Since I'm not driving I've got to find my buggy whip and wind up my pocket watch so I won't be late for my appointment.

Terry

Dennis, I think Mike means a .01 and .03mfd. Should be at least 630v, 1000v is better if in the plate circuit of the output stage.

nf is nano farad... 1/1000 of a pico farad, as I understand it... here we generally use mfd or mmfd, some modern folks use pf for mmfd and some folks use a u instead of the m because they think it looks more like a Greek mu for micro, silly, I think. I still say micro-micro farad for pico farad to this day, LOL, but then I'm old.

Thanks all for great information and welcome.I have since downloaded and will continue repair.
Dennis

So how far have you gotten? Started  to replace things or figuring what you need to gather up to whip it into shape? I've two of them (121's) a late version table set and a late version chairside. Haven't serviced either yet. If you didn't know there is a big radio meet in Kutztown (abt 45min from you) in two weeks. A number of us will be there. Some just to hang out and others the horse trade/ buy sell old radios and other related pieces. Hope to see you there!
I'm about 1 1/2 hour south of Emaus near Willow Grove. Use to get up there when I was working but not so much any more.

Terry

(04-27-2016, 03:01 PM)mikethedruid Wrote:  nf is nano farad... 1/1000 of a pico farad, as I understand it... here we generally use mfd or mmfd, some modern folks use pf for mmfd and some folks use a u instead of the m because they think it looks more like a Greek mu for micro, silly, I think. I still say micro-micro farad for pico farad to this day, LOL, but then I'm old.

No it is the picofarad that is 1/1000 of nanofarad. 

Pico is ten to the minus 12, 

Nano  is ten to the minus 9.

Then there is femtofarad, ten to the -15, 1/1000 of the picofarad. Radios dontdeal with that but some devices do. I have a friend who measures those.

And no one needs Attofarads. Icon_smile

Terry

See, the newby at some point while replacing old caps with new will have to go and buy them and these will be in nano, micro and picofarads. Go try to ask a Mouser salesperson about 300mmF cap. Or use its search engine. So they will have to learn. Icon_smile as painful as that might be.

Dennis
Don't pay the geek squad no mind
But they are some of the best here to help
And welcome.  

Sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

(04-27-2016, 08:25 PM)morzh Wrote:  Then there is femtofarad, ten to the -15, 1/1000 of the picofarad. Radios dontdeal with that but some devices do. I have a friend who measures those.

And no one needs Attofarads. Icon_smile

Mike;
  A femtofarad sounds like something that one would use in UHF or microwave devices. where a straight lenth of wire is considered a coil, but that's just a guess. Bob Andersen once found a 1/2 picofarad/mmf capacitor inside a TV tuner, someone took a very small ceramic cap and then ground part of it away to get the value.
Regards
Arran

(04-27-2016, 09:38 AM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  Dennis, I think Mike means a .01 and .003mfd. Should be at least 630v, 1000v is better if in the plate circuit of the output stage.

Fixed it for ya  Icon_angel

There are no personal problems that can't be overcome with the liberal application of high explosives

(04-27-2016, 07:14 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  So how far have you gotten? Started  to replace things or figuring what you need to gather up to whip it into shape? I've two of them (121's) a late version table set and a late version chairside. Haven't serviced either yet. If you didn't know there is a big radio meet in Kutztown (abt 45min from you) in two weeks. A number of us will be there. Some just to hang out and others the horse trade/ buy sell old radios and other related pieces. Hope to see you there!
I'm about 1 1/2 hour south of Emaus near Willow Grove. Use to get up there when I was working but not so much any more.

Terry
Terry
   I was able to get correct values and have since re-stuffed with new caps. Next major issue is signal strength meter.Seems at some time in past vane movement was worked on and parts are missing.Also filters 100 & 80 were missing,since replaced.I also plan to attend Kutztown meet.  My call is KB3WLU.
 Dennis