Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Big score!

So I drove the 7 hour round trip to pick up this 37-116 standard dial. All original, rust free chassis, still plays, original finish(although a little rough, nothing a refinish wont take care of). Got it for $125 with a little bit of a surprise thrown in. When I picked it up, the gentleman said he had some tubes to go with it. It was about a 12x12x12 cardboard box. There was a brown paper bag full of what appeared to be miniature tubes and some TV tubes. Didnt think much of it because I was stoked to get the 116. After getting home and getting it unloaded(after explaining to the wife what a find it was and how much I wanted it), I started to go through the box. Figuring I was just going to end up trashing it because they were not radio tubes, I about fell over with what I found under the brown paper bag. It was a stash of 56 tubes, 85% of which where globes! 112A's, 71A's, 01A's, 22's, 26's, etc. I proceeded to clean them up and test them. I was astonished when 48 of the 56 tested near the top of the GOOD scale on my Hickok. The other 6 had life they where just weak. Ended up with 6 pairs of super strong 71A's and 8 pairs of the same in 112A's. I had no idea this was going to be in the box! I don't know which was a better score, the 116 or the tubes. In other words, I had a GREAT weekend!

Attached Files Image(s)

Merry Christmas to you!!! Nice score!  Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

super find!
Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

What a great score Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup  Thanks for posting.

DEFINITELY worth the 7 hr round trip!  Great find!  Congrats! You're lucky to be able to use your kitchen for "display shootings".

Craig R

Hey, 7hr drive is nothing if there is a good reward waiting at the end.
Nice score.
The Force loves you.
At least today.

Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Wow, amazing! Definitely worth the trip. What phenomenal luck. Congratulations!

NICE SCORE!  I wish I could get that lucky just once. Nice find! Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

I've been known to drive 200 miles (one way) for a pizza or a porterhouse.  I wind up with heartburn, but you have a nice stash of globe tubes!  Good score Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Try resoldering the pins on the weak testing tubes, as well as any grid caps, they may come up good.
Regards
Arran

Those 71A's are always good to have...

Count me jealous

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Excellent find!  The -116 looks to be a beauty.  Congratulations!

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

And now the fun begins!!!

GL
Terry