Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco 49-1611 Record Player Inop

Hello everyone! I hope this is in the right forum.
I just acquired a 49-1611 Cabinet, long story short my friends uncle passed away 2 years ago and apparently this thing was in working order now it is not after sitting unused for 2 years.

I have no user manual for this and no idea how to operate it, I turn the knob on and the radio works fine, I switch the knob to Phono and i have no idea what is supposed to happen. I put a record on the turntable and there is a switch for reg and long play some sort of mechanism that twists around from 10 inch to 12 inch and another switch that is marked rej/auto/man at no point will the turntable spin on it's own if i spin it by hand the arm will raise up and move on to the record the tone arm will move to the edge of the record.

As for my level of expertise I am an auto mechanic of 25+ years and i also restore/mod computers and video game consoles from the 70's and 80's. I can read schematics and have multimeters and soldering equipment.

So my questions: Are there any common failures with these units?
Where is the best place to get a user and or repair manual? and parts?
If this model is gonna be a headache to repair would I be better off taking it to the local
repair shop because don't want to waste alot of anyone's time especially since i'm new
here.

Thank you for your time.

Then perhaps a mod would be kind enough to move my thread Icon_smile

Done Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Mr. K. Welcome to the Phorum.
Icon_wave
There is some schematic info here: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/654/M0013654.htm

I've not worked on any phonographs so can't help there but hopefully others who have can help.

Thanks for moving the thread and thanks for the replies! I'll have some time this weekend to tinker with it. I may have a short or ground issue as i was getting a small tingling when i touched the metal portion near the switches.

Looking at the schematic I pointed you to, it is only for the radio portion so that may not be enough to help you out. I 'think' you might also need the MC-9 changer schematic. You can get that from SAMS but its not free: https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photofact.../id/115593

The free online radio schematic is nice but difficult to read so you should also probably buy a clear schematic. One source is http://www.antiqueradioschematics.org/philco.htm

Some things to think about before you poke around in there. The power supply used two selenium rectifiers which may become faulty if they are not already. If the radio has not been serviced in the last 10 years or so its likely the electrolytic capacitors will need replacing as well ( C103 A thru D ) and all the paper capacitors should be replaced as well. If the unit will be used with any regularity these components should all be replaced.

***!!!!Also note that the chassis does not have a power transformer on it so you are connecting the chassis directly to the 120V ac power. You should use an isolation transformer to work on the unit if it is powered up. Its not clear to me how the phonograph is powered so it is possible you have a disconnect somewhere so that no power is going to the motor or you may have a mechanical problem with the turntable and tone arm.

If you decide to try to fix it, post pics and ask questions and I'm sure guys who have worked on radio/phonos will chime in.

Thank you for the links, I plan on at least checking some basics first so thank you for the advice and info about the rectifiers and caps. I will post some pics this weekend.