Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which set would you prefer?

The 40-201X or the 41-300??

The chassis look pretty similar. The '201 has a rf amp stage where the '300 has two IF stages. '201X has a pentagrid converter '300 a dual triode set up. Audio stages look the same no SG inversion and conventional p/p pentode connected pentodes. Did a rough calculation to find that the 80 tube is running at full till( a little surprised that it isn't a 5Z3)

Would think it would be pretty close in performance but haven't had either one. Personally like the well louvered '300 cabinet a bit better looks powerful and have a line on one.

Terry

I've owned both, and regretted letting both go.

The 41-300 seemed to be a bit better, both in terms of performance and audio output. But sooner or later, all of that bent veneer is going to start cracking, I think...

What I think would really be nice would be a 41-300/295/315 chassis and the accompanying 14 inch speaker in a 40-201X cabinet (which had a 12 inch speaker). Sure, it would be a Phranken-Philco, but to me would represent the best of both worlds (better looking cabinet...in my opinion...and better performance).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

You are getting the 300 old boy...
I been holding it long enough Icon_lol

ME

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Well, there you go, Terry. Icon_lol

--