Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lowboy 45 Speaker

I have recently acquired a Philco Lowboy 45. The cabinet is in good shape, but the only thing left inside is the speaker. I tested it, it's not blown but is just really quiet. I'd just like to know more about the parameters of the speaker (power handling, impedance, etc). If anyone has anything, that'd be great. Thanks.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Ron has collected and posted (see the speakers.zip file) speaker information, unfortunately unless I missed it I only see the 5" speaker for the 45C model, not your 45L. Perhaps someone will have the info.

It is most likely that your speaker is "quiet" because the field coil is not being charged. The old speakers did not use a permanent magnet. So without the radio to supply power it has no magnet.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Good thought Russ!

Before we go on a wild goose chase why don't you tell us HOW exactly you tested it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The 45L speaker is K-22, which is in the speaker index - only the 45L is not listed as using it.

Good catch, Bob. I'll have to correct that after K-town.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

May NOT be the speaker,,could be capacitors,,resistors,,,if have not be replaced,,check tubes,,etc,,

Ken

He kinda said there is only speaker in there. Implies no chassis, inferring no capacitors, resistors or tubes. Unless I am missing something Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Apparently,,,I missed that ALSO-------SORRY