Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1930 model 96

I normally don't venture into local antique shops but did so today with my dad, who knows the owner. He has this 1930 Philco high boy that is being used as a daily driver. He plays it all day every day he's open. It sounds good so at minimum the electrolyitics have been replaced. He needs space and offered it to me for  $70. The cabinet has a lot of scratches and probably needs refinishing. I certainly don't need another console but this seems like a good deal. What do you guys think? 

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

I like the style of the cabinet. Based on some google pics of the 96 looks like that is the original grill cloth and in good condition. Depends on how much you want it as to price to pay.

Greg, I bet that that 96 is unrestored and playing on all its original parts. As far as I recall, the 96 has no electrolytics, but uses a paper capacitor block for filters.

Actually I would not be surprised if it has been playing as is every day in the store . I have a 
Philco 77 which is unrestored and totally original, right down to the Philco globe tubes. I don't use it much, but it still plays great when I power it up

It is a good deal.
I have this very radio I have yet to restore.
It is a good looking and one of the few with that leaves pattern.
For 70 bucks it is a good deal. Not super, not stellar, just good.
In case you want it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

It's possible it was untouched...there was so much junk...er, I mean priceless antiques... around and on it I couldn't get a look at the back. If those were the original filters they were still doing a great job after 86 years....there was no hum at all! I even turned the volume down to check. I will give it some thought....and see how much I sell (or buy...) at the WARCI meet next Sunday.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org