Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 39-6 dial cover and grill cloth.

I got totally oblivious to the fact I did not have the dial cover for my 39-6. I was so sure I had it, having bought it from Mark Palmquist during the Kutztown event  a year ago.
I did ...the one for 38-12. I was sure I had both.

Now here's my problem: my 39-6 does not have a bezel, the cover attaches to the cabinet directly. The one Mark is listing looks like it is the bezel type as it does not have that flange that is used to glue or staple it to the internal side of the panel.

http://67.20.74.185/jmpalm/Philco_39-6.jpg

Am I mistaken and this is the right one or do I need something else?

This is the one I have.

http://philcoradio.com/gallery/1939a.htm#a

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

hmmmmm,
I dont get why there is no flange... You have a built in routered bezel but unless the dial cover attaches to the dial itself, you will have to try a litle glue in the 4 corners?

Maybe someone else who has one will know...

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Well with the bezel it could snap in like a wristwatch glass does. This takes precise machining but is known to be done. Without the bezel there's nothing to hold on to.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I have the 38-12 but it uses a bezel. I tried searching the web for something on yours and could not find any info on the dial cover installation. Icon_problem

I have 38-12 cover for usage without bezel.
Those are usually for backelite version.
38-12 and 38-15 with wooden cabinets all use bezels and I think use glass covers.

I need one for 39-6 which is the same as 39-7, they are cut ovals and can be vertical or horizontal of the same shape.

I am trying to contact Mark but his email is paranoid and rejects everyone who is not on his approved list. By the time I got the autoresponce to fill out the request form my letter had expired.
Got his phone, if it is correct, will try to call him tomorrow.

Probably best bet to call. I contacted him by phone quite awhile back. Nice guy and helpful.

I met Mark several times, he comes to Kutztown evedy time.

I bought stuff from him, we talked....yes, a great guy.

Mike;
  If the 39-6 is like many of the smaller wooden table radios that I have had the celluloid dial lens had a flange that was either tacked or stapled onto the inside of the cabinet. On sets that have both a metal escutcheon and a celluloid lens the lens was often riveted around the inside perimeter of the escutcheon, with hollow tube rivets, and did not have a flange. Not doubt that this was a cost saving move on Philco's part, to the not too observant both the 1938 and 39 models would look alike, but Philco could eliminate some extra parts and labor by eliminating the escutcheon in favor of the finished opening.
Regards
Arran

Arran

I wrote to Mark and he indicated there is a flange on his lenses for 39-6, it is just on the photos it has been cropped out.
In any event I think there will be some way to glue it (I doubt I will be riveting it, it will crack them for sure).
I will have a similar operation to perform with the backelite 38-12 I have just finished and which I have the lens for already.

God works in misterious ways.

I finished aligning 38-12 and when having glued aluminum caps' caps back to the caps Icon_lol I wanted to wipe the excess of the epoxy with a Qtip, and I lost them from my sight for like ten minutes and could not find it.
So looking in the small shallow box right in front of me, where the Qtips were supposed to be, what do I see? - yes, the 39-6 dial cover in a small pouch signed "39-6 cover" in very large letters. I wasn't crazy, I did buy it last fall from Mak.

Well...one good thing today Icon_smile

Glad you found them. I vote you're not crazy. Icon_biggrin I did same thing with some red push buttons for a Philco I bought 3 months ago. Just found them under a box in a box with used parts: Icon_e_surprised

Well when I could not fing it I proved to myself I did not buy it Icon_smile as Mark had covers for bezel version only etc....
False memories.

1. So what do I glue it with? Sometimes there are staples but I do not want them.
2. Do I need a frame for the grillcloth or is it glued right to the cabinet?

OK know the answer to #2. Have old cabinet, it has frame WITH good cloth too Icon_smile attached to the frame that is already loose.

(05-20-2016, 06:52 PM)morzh Wrote:  1. So what do I glue it with? Sometimes there are staples but I do not want them.

Clear RTV seems to work well. Don't go crazy with it, just a few dots to hold it in place.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

The old cloth and frame turned out to be a bit shorter than I need as the cabinet was with bezel oriented horizontally so the cloth takes less space. In my casev need another 1/4 to 3/8 inches more.

Well...need to go find a material for the frame. The foamcore is a bit thick. I know you guys told me about Michaels but they had no good materials. And the associates had no suggestions. Maybe it is just our Michael's.