Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 39-6 dial cover and grill cloth.

Made the new frame ang glued the cloth.

Question: I want to staple it to the front.
What kind of stapler do I need and where could I buy it?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

This is a wood cabinet right?  If so you want something like the Arrow T50 staple gun:

http://www.arrowfastener.com/ccrz__Produ...owfastener

Available at HD and Lowes make sure the staples you buy are not long enough to pierce through to the outside of the cabinet.  Arrow is still made in the USA and I have one or two still going strong after hanging many rolls of insulation in a previous house years ago.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

+ one on making sure your staples are not too long. I did that once to a little table radio I had spent much time restoring. The staples punched through the front in two places. I was able to refill the holes but felt dumb for not checking the length first. Icon_eh

+2. The same thing happened to me on a wood 38-14 I had carefully refinished. Icon_sad Icon_crazy

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks guys.

Yes I specifically am !ooking for shallow staples as I do have a regular Stanley gun (which is Arrow) with regular staples and it would not occur to me to use it as they are too long, and this is the reason I asked.
I thought the staple gun that uses smaller staples is a smaller gun in the first place.
Sorta like using an elephant gun to shoot a sparrow Icon_smile

I guess I will go to Lowes and take my gun with me to compare to T50 and see if this one also can use the same staples.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(05-22-2016, 08:56 AM)KCMike Wrote:   + one on making sure your staples are not too long. I did that once to a little table radio I had spent much time restoring. The staples punched through the front in two places. I was able to refill the holes but felt dumb for not checking the length first. Icon_eh

(05-22-2016, 09:19 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  +2. The same thing happened to me on a wood 38-14 I had carefully refinished. Icon_sad Icon_crazy

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I learned the "short staple" rule on a nice little Emerson tombstone many moons ago Icon_redface

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

Ha-ha Icon_lol

Anyways, the Lowes proved to be a fiasco, the shortest staples there is 1/4" which is what I have already.
The Hobby Lobby is closed today.

In my desperation I am thinking of a possibility of taking quarter-inch ones and vrinding them down to 1/8 of an inch.

Guys what size of staples do you use?
Seems like 1/4 is the smallest around but I think it is too large?

I don't think you can get smaller than 1/4" unless you go to a fine wire upholstery stapler, and all that I've seen are air powered.  If you think 1/4" is too long put a small piece or two of cardboard between the backer board and the stapler.

I think John Goller uses a regular office stapler with the base removed.... that seems like a pretty thin staple to me, but it works for him.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

Are you using 1/4" for small cabinets?
Office staples look too thin, I am not sure if they can pierce plywood.

I have, but my backing board might be thicker than what you are using.  I think I used a framing mat from Michael's and I may have used 2 thicknesses.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

Aha...I am fhinking to maybe pad the staples with pieces of the same material I use for the frame but then it might create push back agsinst the speaker...or not if it is outside the speaker's rim. Have to look.
But... what do you think of grinding the staples? Should be fairly easy.

Grinding them down might be an option, but be sure to wear eye protection!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

I will Icon_smile

Also has to be held by pliers or it can end up in your finger Icon_smile

I have just successfully stapled the frame to the front.
I used my staplegun, my 1/4" staples and the leftover pieces of the frame material as padding.
Plus a little glue to keep it from vibrating.