Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

I actully fixed something!!!

At ktown I got an Admiral 7T10 from1950 or so. Took a quick look at it look it in last night. Popped it out of the cabinet to find that the filters where replaced. Turned it on and tubes lit but no sound at all. Wiggled the output tube and nothing. Checked plate voltage 0. That makes sense. Output transformer was open. Have a test spkr w/a transformer so I hooked that up and it was playing sort of. Went to bed. This afternoon I went down to the basement and found a suitable replacement transformer and installed it Set was playing but the tuning was way off and didn't have the volume that it should. Upon closer inspection someone had wired the loop ant across the two stator sections of the tuning cap, connecting the ant and osc sections together. Once removed and wired correctly stations where they should be and has good volume.
http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=113

One down a million more to go!
Terry

Mr. Speedy Gonzalez Icon_smile

Wow Terry, after all this you have energy to fix something this quick!
(I have just restuffed one cap of my 38-12 and drilled out the transformer, this is the extent today).

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Energy? With all that lifting and moving and... Oh wait... Sitting there Icon_lol
Do you hear this Sam? He had the energy to fix a radio when he got home... Icon_smile
I died until today when the phone rang... right Terry! Icon_lol

I am glad you fixed it... I could not so bye bye it went Icon_smile

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I have heard those Admirals have plenty of volume and soud decent for a small 5 toober. Does it have a 4 or 5 inch speaker?

Paul

Tubetalk1

(05-15-2016, 07:26 PM)Paul Philco322 Wrote:  I have heard those Admirals have plenty of volume and soud decent for a small 5 toober. Does it have a 4 or 5 inch speaker?

Paul

It does sound good for an AA5. The original transformer was pretty wimpy not many lamination at all. That's done by design because the less low frequency response the less filtering in the power supply you'll need. That's why a lot of these AA5's have small spkrs so it doesn't reproduce the 60cy hum so much. Replacement was a bit better. I think it was a 5" spkr.

Terry

Terry;
  I have one of those Admirals, but it was assembled in Hamilton, Ontario rather then Chicago, it was one of the earlier sets in my collection and one of the few from that period that I still own.
Regards
Arran

I thought I'd revisit the Admiral. Have been using it but the audio sounds a bit muffled. I quick look at the schematic shows why. It has a rather large cap across the primary of the output transformer. Changed that for a smaller one and added a bypass cap to the cathode of the 50A5. This adds a little bit of audio gain and increases the low frequency response. A lot of AA5's don't have a cap there because it adds to the cost and it can make 60cy hum sound worst. I did add an extra 47mfd to the filter making a total of 141mfd originally it had 80.
It's playing nice and loud now with a much brighter sound. Have been using to listen the a local station that plays otr on Sat nights so I'm all set.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...000212.pdf

Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

That sounds so nice, glad it turned out. I have had a beast of  day and before burnig up some burgers I have a 5 tube Westinghouse on the Old Music Station up here and am havig a lager. So a little rest and relax. It was hot as a ******* up here today, had to jump a guys battery outside my work today, cat peed on my son's new sneakers, does it get better?

I like Admiral, generally pretty good before it all went overseas. Simple sets for simple people like me!

Americas Smart Set!

Paul 

Tubetalk1

I thought yous guys had permanent air conditioning up there!!!!

Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry