Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I neeeeed opinions..

The Philco from Craigslist really has me thinking. I would love a Philco BOL changer combo unit.
What in your opinions are the nicest looking and good playing?
I dont want to rush into buying it if there are more attractive model out there...

Any help is appreciated Icon_smile

Me

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

What's the difrance you only going to flip it 

I like the 41-608 myself

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

42-1012
Pluses
If you have to have a BOL the '42 is the one to get.
Has FM 50 band so may be able to pick some FM stations.
Has bcb and a sw band too.
Cabinet looks pretty good,can't tell if it has been refinished.

Negatives
Seems like consoles getting hard to pass along unless there something pretty special.
Lot of rubber wire.
Loctal tubes, can be a bit finicky to get going.
Mechanical pushbutton, require a good cleaning and obscure circuits mounted under them on the chassis.
May have a pb off/on switch pain to replace.

Sure there are more on both sides these just came to mind.
Have never own a Philco with a BOL.

Terry

The last time I asked for an opinion, I was told that I was ugly and my mommy dressed me funny...

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

I'm gonna flip you something ya crack pot hoarder!

I would be getting it to restore and use. I would not have to sell stuff if you guys stopped putting stuff in my VAN!
And flipping means buying cheap, and selling high.. I am losing money on what i sell just so I can get rid of it.
I want my Hi-Fi back! Icon_lol

Oh and the 41-608 is really ugly!  Icon_thumbdown Icon_thumbdown

Evil me  Icon_twisted

As of 1/01/2021

This one to me looks just fine and the BOL is the salient feature which you are looking for. I am pretty sure they all sound fine.

Rubber wiring is a huge minus (saying that because I kinda have an idea who it is the chassis is gonna end up with) Icon_lol

PS> Why do you need opinions? It is a matter of taste, and de gustibus no est disputandum. if you like it, take it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(05-17-2016, 06:27 PM)OldRestorer Wrote:  I would not have to sell stuff if you guys stopped putting stuff in my VAN!

Kirk, do what I do when I am in Kutztown...keep your van locked at all times...this keeps Sam from putting any "surprise radios" in your vehicle. Icon_lol

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Well, I don't like the cabinet or the flip top. I don't like consoles with record players especially in the belly. So I would not take it if you gave it to me - really. But if you like it then that's OK.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Kirk

I had not offered an opinion yet...but here it is:

I used to own the 1941 version of that set (41-610) and when I decided to sell, I couldn't...I ended up giving it to another collector to get it out of the house. So Russ has a good point.

However...if you really like it and plan to keep it awhile, then by all means, go for it! After all, the most important criterion is that you love it, not that anyone else loves (or even likes) it.

And Sam - I was just kidding about locking vans. Sort of. Icon_lol

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I agree,
$90.00 is her best price but I dont like overpaying.. The fact that the player is low does turn me off but I dont mind the flip top. If I had sold that 464 at K-town I would have more easily purchased it... With all the work this will need, IT would be silly to buy it to flip it. I already have 4 players from Sam that I can flip, Icon_twisted

Mike, I dont think this chassis will be going to you. You already have my Majestic 15 to do anyway Icon_mrgreen

Me

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk,

Buy it.

Scrap it out.

See if it has a 12SJ7 tube in it.

Send the tube to me Icon_lol

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I have at least 2 12SJ tubes NOS but I don't know if they are metal...

I decided to go for it and this is what happens on the way!

Needless to say I didnt make it....

UGH!

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

You weren't part of it, I hope. Knowing you......

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Well be thankful at least you weren't involved in the wreck. It will probably be there tomorrow.

In looking at those pictures I hope that the veneer on the right front curve is not cracked across the grain. It's up to you of course but I would not pay $90 for it, or any other rubber wire and Tenite plastic special, if it were not for the beam of light changer and maybe an old FM band in the radio, it wouldn't be of much interest.
Regards
Arran