Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 20 and Philco 20 Deluxe

(05-19-2016, 06:19 PM)SteveG Wrote:  Eric,
Nice radios!  I was trying to reach an agreement with the owner of your 20 Deluxe when he said he had it sold.  I've regretted not paying his asking price, as it was a nice radio!  Glad to see where it went.  Kirk (OldRestorer on this board) was the one who put it on the Phorum as a lead on CL.  The knobs aren't that expensive.  Suppliers listed on this site, should have what you need.
I'm lucky to have several brands of 1930's radios, but Philco is where I started and they're still my favorites!  Welcome to the Phorum!
Steve
He told me that someone else had expressed interest in it.  Sorry it happened to be  you Steve but I'm not sorry I got the radio.   Icon_angel  I only have twenty sets in my collection and seven of those are Philcos so like you I am very partial to the brand.  Ron's book is largely responsible for that.  I mean two of the first three sets I bought when I began my collection in 2002 were my Philco 20 Baby Grand and a Philco 70 cathedral.  I bought Ron's book during this time and when I saw all of the different varieties of sets, I was permanently hooked.  All of this said, thanks for the welcome.  I really do appreciate it (and Ron's invitation to join as well).

I wasn't sure I understood but after tge 3rd time I think I did Icon_lol

Speaking of 20, witnin the reach, day before Kutztown someone in NJ close to Phily was selling 20 lowboy with grillwork (not the less rare no grillwork version). It went for 40 bucks. I forgot about the auction. I have the same but since thy are rare I wanted to buy it so if one of you expressed interest it'd be viven away. Kicking self.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

...wish I had known about that 20 lowboy with the grillework... Icon_sad oh well...thanks anyway, Mike...don't kick yourself too hard... Icon_lol

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yeah I shoulda posted it here.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

hello Everyone,
I know this is a old thread but Those are sure some nice radios .
My 20 Deluxe Needs some grille work As Ron said it is fragile .
Sincerely Rich

Hello all. The first radio in my collection was a model 20 that was in my grandparents garage. I picked that over 50 years ago when we were cleaning out the estate. It needed knobs as well, and Mike Koste (gobs of knobs) took care of me very inexpensively at a Kutztown visit I made. Also picked up the missing tube shield I needed at the same meet. Not a head-turning radio performance-wise, but I still consider the model 20 the radio that really put Philco on the map. It's an amazing feat to think that over 300,000 of these radios were produced and sold in the grip of the Great Depression. I recently picked up a spare chassis for mine (less the tubes) for $20.00 at the MARC winter meet. Should provide some spare parts as I need them. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Hello Gary,
Yes I know that was amazing feat because look at what it took to build a radio in those days compared to a product built today.