Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What do I use to clean and polish brown backelite?

My 38-12 is brown backelite.
Needs a bit of a clean-up and polishing.
What do I use for either one? Meaning all the materials - compound, cloth....others?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

See if you can find the old formula Brasso (in a metal can). It is great for polishing Bakelite.

I've also tried Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish and it worked surprisingly well. It was a situation where I was in a hurry...the can of Mother's was sitting there...I tried it and it worked...and as a bonus, it leaves far less residue than the Brasso does.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Where do I get it?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Old formula Brasso...I don't know...eBay maybe? It's been out of production for several years now. The new stuff in the plastic container is no good. Like Smirnoff vodka. Icon_lol

Mother's...any auto parts store.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Most hardware stores carry it. Autozone also has it http://www.autozone.com/wash-cleaners-an...18723_0_0/

Thanks, Ron, Bob.

Will pick it up in PepBoys tonite.

I am a big fan of Meguiars PlastX headlight polish. It also works great for cleaning and polishing clear plastic dial covers. Ive used it for a few years with great results! I get mine at Walmart but it can be picked up at any auto parts store.

I swang by Pepdudes on the way from work, got me a can of Moms plus polishing cloth.

(05-19-2016, 07:51 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Old formula Brasso...I don't know...eBay maybe? It's been out of production for several years now. The new stuff in the plastic container is no good. Like Smirnoff vodka. Icon_lol

Mother's...any auto parts store.

Your comments on Brasso got me to look at the dates on the two metal cans it I have left. Dated 1991 and it was made in Canada by Reckitt & Colman Inc. Did not realize you can no longer get the  original formula Icon_thumbdown  I use it quite a bit on the IF cans and tube shields.

Never thought about using old formula Brasso on IF cans or tube shields. I use Mothers on IF cans and aluminum electrolytic capacitor cans. It really shines them up. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I have some mothers I will give it a try. I did find this on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRASSO-METAL-POL...9#shpCntId
Wonder if it is old formula.

Here's what I got.
I use polishing cloth. Should I use something else?
How long and with what kind of cloth do I need to rub it?
Will it be glossy or matte when finished?

I have matte suface now after some rubbing.

Keep in mind: I got no experience whatsoever in this.

Last: one of the springy thingies holding the dial cover flew away.
What are they called? Tacks? Springs? Spring holders?

I use Metal Armor polish to start and finish with brown shoe polish and a wet cotton ball.

(05-19-2016, 09:11 PM)KCMike Wrote:  I have some mothers I will give it a try. I did find this on ebay........
Wonder if it is old formula.

I think it is the original Mike.  Since it is in the metal can and from a foreign country it should be the good stuff..... just look at how much comes in that can, I think 100ML is only about 3 ounces.  Might be better off buying a good metal polish.

My favorite for both metal (cars) and radios is Satin Gloss Metal Polish, but guys also rave about Metal Armor and Mother's for use on radios.

Quote:morzh

I use polishing cloth. Should I use something else?

How long and with what kind of cloth do I need to rub it?
Will it be glossy or matte when finished?

Not quite sure what you mean by a polishing cloth, but if it is soft you should be OK.  The polish has fine abrasives in it so you have to rub it in well for them to work and then break down so you get a glossy finish.... it might take multiple applications.   Bakelite has a very thin outer finish that gives it gloss, if that outer layer has been compromised or removed in the past you might not get it as glossy as you'd like.  In cases like that some guys spray a light coat of clear on the cabinet.  

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I tried today. It is not getting glossy. I get brown on the cloth, meaning it does take off some material, but....no gloss, not even hint.

Well ok, I will settle for matte.