Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

cabinet top repair

The cabinet top of my Philco model 116 has flaking lacquer.Rest of set has a good finish.What suggestions can anyone share?
Thanks Dennis

I scraped the old lacquer off the top of a console once using a sharp knife. I gave the top a touch up coat of stain and sprayed it with new lacquer which I then knocked down a bit to make it match the rest of the cabinet.

A 116B or a 116X? If 116B is it the early version with the shouldered cabinet or the later version with the walnut veneer top?
Regards
Arran

(05-21-2016, 02:00 AM)Arran Wrote:   A 116B or a 116X? If 116B is it the early version with the shouldered cabinet or the later version with the walnut veneer top?
Regards
Arran

Arran
 Radio is model 116-121 with shouldered cabinet. The top had toning lacquer applied with no stain visible.
   Regards
Dennis

(05-20-2016, 01:42 AM)Squire Wrote:  I scraped the old lacquer off the top of a console once using a sharp knife.  I gave the top a touch up coat of stain and sprayed it with new lacquer which I then knocked down a bit to make it match the rest of the cabinet.

Squire
  Thanks for help,I will try this approach.

(05-21-2016, 05:49 PM)Up2960 Wrote:  The top had toning lacquer applied with no stain visible.

That is because Philco did not use stains on their cabinets - they used tinted lacquer to achieve the color on the wood.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(05-21-2016, 09:19 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  
(05-21-2016, 05:49 PM)Up2960 Wrote:  The top had toning lacquer applied with no stain visible.

That is because Philco did not use stains on their cabinets - they used tinted lacquer to achieve the color on the wood.
Good point!  The one I did was a Silvertone not a Philco.  It came out pretty nice though!

Attached Files Image(s)