Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

16B cathedral side switch

In the cabinet Kirk had just recently finished for me there is no hole in the veneer on the right side for the switch. (Kirk you didn't patch it up, did you? Icon_smile ) I do mot see any patch job at the location.
But the hole in the frame is there.

Wre there discrepancies between various versions of 16B cathedrals?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

There is no hole because, someone veneered over it. I don't think Philco ever ran the grain up and over on a "Clyde Shuler" style cabinet, at least, I never saw one. But, I've not seen all the cabinets Philco made so, I could be wrong. Now, they did make some 70 and 90 cabinets with up and over grain.

Steve 

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Steve

As I am not proficient with woodworking or its terminology, could you explain what "up and over grain" means?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Mike, I'm saying the grain is running the wrong direction.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Steve is correct - I've never seen the grain running from side to side ("up and over") on a Clyde Shuler cathedral cabinet, only front to back. Model 20, 21, and some early production 70 and 90 cathedrals have the grain running up and over...but later 70 and 90 cathedrals, and all of the later ones as far as I know, have the grain running front to back.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Oh...so you guys are talking of the very cabinet I have?

Kirk, this feeling of guilt will pursue you the rest of your life Icon_lol

Gee...I only wanted to know if there should be a hole in the veneer and now.....Icon_lol

He who asketh many a question receiveth many an answer Icon_smile

(05-22-2016, 09:29 AM)morzh Wrote:  ......Gee...I only wanted to know if there should be a hole in the veneer and now.....Icon_lol  .....

Can you see traces of a hole on the inside of the cabinet where you'd expect the switch to be?  Did you say you bought John Hagman's model 16 cathedral at Kutztown?

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

John

If by traces you mean a hole in the frame, which is what I wrote in #1, it is there. On the veneer in fact there are no signs of the hole, so if it was reskinned it was a large piece.
The opposite side of the cabinet had dome damage Kirk repaired but that was not the hole.

I didn't realize what you meant when you said "frame", but if the hole is on the inside and not the outside it's time to do a little drilling.  

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Here is a picture of one with the switch, but the grain is running front to back.
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/atq/5597970260.html

Mike
Thanks, I actually have a complete one restored by John "Hagstar" Hagman, that I just bought off him in Kutztown.

Has the switch and all.

I was must wondering why? And now I imagine the chassis I have has some mod that eliminates the switch.
Oh well....

OK,,,Can you'all ,,enlighten me about thee switch,,,what is it used for ????

Ken

Well this is a cool one too!

It allows, if turned on, activate the feature of turning sound off if the signal is below a set level (byba certain pot). So when tuning between station thers is mo static etc.

Thank You,,for your reply,,,,,,very interesting