Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-1276?

What are some thoughts on the 48-1276? Is it a true "Hi-Fidelity" set? Is it worth picking up? Where they good performers? I see it was top of the line for '48.

(05-26-2016, 09:52 AM)sdradioman Wrote:  What are some thoughts on the 48-1276? Is it a true "Hi-Fidelity" set? Is it worth picking up? Where they good performers? I see it was top of the line for '48.

I had this 48-1274 once...AM, FM, SW bands, and a rp in a mahogany cabinet.  It had a gorgeous original finish on it but I could only get it to hum.  It had something like 115-120 capacitors in it and about 95 resistors.  I gave up on it. 

I suspect a 1276 would be similar.  How much do you want to invest?

Attached Files Image(s)

It's is free. Figured a chance on the 6L6's is worth lugging it home. It's a beast.

Wa Wa Wa Wa WA????
Ruh roh Raggy! 115 caps??
Holy crapoli!

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

FREE?!?!?!?

You mean that you haven't picked it up yet? Whaddya waitin' for? Go get it a'ready!

The 48-1274 and 48-1276 (both use the same chassis) are the last truly great console radios Philco produced.

I believe the "Hi-Fidelity" switch only turns the tweeter on and off. The AM section does not have variable IF bandwidth.

I have never heard one in operation, but I would think this would be a superb performer.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Got it this AM. Cabinet is an 8 out of 10. The 6L6's tested new. The chassis is in decent shape. The only real issue is the coating on the back of the dial glass is all flaked off so the chassis is visible. Will have to figure out how to remedy that. Other than that it's complete.

Here's some picks. Shes a monster of a cabinet and weighs about 300 lbs!! The wife was not pleased with having to help me get it out of the back of the truck! It has a few minors repairs that need to be made to the cabinet and like I said the back of the dial glass is flaking off as can be seen in that picture. The record player is missing the center pin and the chrome base is flaking. Probably wouldnt worry about getting it going right away as Ive read it takes a special stylus. It has a goofy tuning mechanism and even has the original allen wrench that must be for adjusting something. Presets maybe?? The 6L6's have been removed and put away after they tested new. Anyway, it will probably go on the back burner until I can find more info on it and buy up half of Just Radios capacitor inventory just to recap it!!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Some more...

Attached Files Image(s)

And the rest....

Attached Files Image(s)

Very nice looking console. That's one you have to be prepared to devote a lot of time to but will be rewarded with a great playing console.

Hi
That is a fine looking console.  I think I have the correct changer for it. It should be a M-4 changer and it should be green, it has a magnetic pickup and it has a very hard to find needle. I am parting out a console that has the M-4 changer and I just put a new needle in it, maybe I have played 5 records with the new needle. let me know if you are interested.
Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

Hello everyone, just noticed this thread. I have the Philco 48-1274 in my collection that I restored 2 years ago. The M-4 changer works great and the radio also has the original back. I had to replace all the caps and there were a lot of them and there was a bad ground I fixed because of excessive hum in the audio. The motorized tuning and bandswitch are working properly. The radio is extremely sensitive especially on FM and I'm only using the built-in antenna. It is quite loud and sounds great. Definitely one of my favorite Philcos in my collection.  Ken

Where is our picture Ken?

I am still unable to grasp 115 caps... 115!!,
Good lord why!

That is a beautiful cabinet SD.... Glad you got it Icon_smile

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Who, me, jealous?   Icon_think    A beauty of a cabinet!  Congats on a great find!

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

Hi OldRestorer, I didn't count the caps but there are a lot of them. On my 48-1274, I didn't have to replace any resistors but there was a bad ground that was causing hum. I attached pictures attached but they are a little fuzzy. The magnetic cartridge on my M-4 is good and I have quite a few 78 RPM records to play on it. The FM section in my receiver pulls in many stations with it's internal dipole antenna and it isn't distorted sounding compared to other Philco radios with the FM1000 detector tube. It was a challenging restore to say the least.   Ken

Attached Files Image(s)