Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1942 Tenite Knobs

On my two portables the knobs are shrinking and was wondering if they are the same as the table/console in the '40s?? They look a bit smaller but they are tenite. I don't have many 1939-42 sets.

Terry

wonder if clear coating would stop it from shrinking same with grill ?

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

I kinda doubt it. I'm thinking it more of a chemical reaction within the tenite itself rather than being exposed to the environment. But what do I know!!!

Terry

No there is no way to stop them from warping besides being protected from direct sun for the last 70 years which only really aided in the chemical reaction.

Which knobs?? The ones with the arrows on them?

me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Unfortunately, those knobs are unique to 1941-42 Philco portables; the AC and AC/DC models (non-portables) did not use them.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

lucky me bought a 40-843 for batteries ,case was missing doors but grill , knobs, and chassis are great shape
[Image: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag14...puzrqq.jpg]
[Image: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag14...rfna7n.jpg]
sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Looks like you got two off/on/volume knobs and one tuning. All mine look like your tuning knob. May RR can make some replacements.

>missing doors   ?????

Terry

terry
here are some expensive knobs.   but hey if you need them
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILCO-RADIO-KNO...SwSclXMIz0

kirk have some ?

mafiamen2

I have one of them. I gave you the other 4 Sam...
If you send me the good knob I will copy it. It should not be that hard and I can try swirling it..

Me

As of 1/01/2021

(06-06-2016, 11:34 AM)sam Wrote:  terry
here are some expensive knobs.   but hey if you need them
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILCO-RADIO-KNO...SwSclXMIz0

kirk have some ?

Those are for the '40s table/console sets. As RR sez the portable are different. The portable knobs have an extension on the back as the shafts on the set don't stick out far and don't have that pointer design on the front.

Txn
Terry

Terry
Good Catch I not notice it
Kirk 
what would the cost be I don't think a lot 
Of pepole have portables to off set the cost
Sam

Ps Kirk you did not give me any knobs ?

mafiamen2

I have the rubber and the plastic to make about 20 of them so there is no cost. If I dont use it then it will expire..
I gave you those knobs over a year ago.. Dont tell me you lost them.... Icon_evil

Me

As of 1/01/2021

Hmm 
I don't recall you giving me any 
But then again I didn't remember the 
38-3 in storage from you either  Icon_sick
I will send one to you 

mafiamen2

terry
look at knobs again they are both different
one dose not have arrow on top but both have pointer on side

kirk
how are you going to made D slot in back ?
will they be ruined ?

mafiamen2

The portable knobs you have are one tuning knob (it doesn't have that sharp pointie pointer) and two volume control/ bandswitch (if you have a 42-854 as it has SW band). If KL is going to make a few it's simple enough to file off that pointer.

Terry