Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Radio Daze dials

(06-09-2016, 06:58 AM)JimZ Wrote:  You can also look here.  I didnt look carefully at what Philcos he makes replacements for but I can say Ive bought replacment Truetone/Detrola stuff from him and they were perfect

http://www.radiolaguy.com/RadioDials-page2.htm

Thanks for the link Jim.  Don't see one there that looks like the 620.  And if it's 65 bucks, that's as much as I paid for the whole radio.

(06-10-2016, 12:12 PM)TimC Wrote:  Just picked up from Radiodaze. Excellent!

Glass dial. Gave them what I had left and they copied it.

Tim

That is fantastic! How much do they charge for that service, if you don't mind my asking. Ed

$39. Can't complain.
No shipping, I pick it up. 10 miles or so from their location.

Wow, that's really convenient. So I guess if you can get it to them they can make any dial you might need. And at a good price too. Thanks for posting that. Ed

I just received my Dial from Radio Daze for my early Philco 16 Cathedral Chassis was a 121 Version
I also have a 16X Version 122 with the exact same Dial.

Checking Radio Daze inventory of the Dials for the 16 I saw different Versions with the same Part number, but the Dials were not the same.

I brought this to John's Attention at Radio Daze. I sent him scans of the  Dials I have here.
Within 2 weeks John replied with a correct Version of my Dial.

It arrived and I was extremely Happy. The Color of the material was very close to the Honey color of my Original.
The Printed matter on the Dial matched the Originals perfectly.

Price $26 + 1st Class shipping of $3.48 A steal IMHO

I am VERY please with the out come of this Dial John Made.

You can see the others for the 16 here :
http://www.radiodaze.com/philco-16-16b-1...m-ds-a357/

Bob T

My experience having RadioDaze make a dial for me was mixed.  Their wait times were very long, and they only communicated to me when I made an inquiry.  I was quoted "3-4 weeks," but it actually took more like 3 months.

However, the reverse-painted glass dial I got from them is very high quality, and the graphics are a faithful reproduction of what I sent them.  Being they're the only game in the business, I suspect they're really quite busy.

(06-10-2016, 04:10 PM)leftwing25 Wrote:  
(06-09-2016, 06:58 AM)JimZ Wrote:  You can also look here.  I didnt look carefully at what Philcos he makes replacements for but I can say Ive bought replacment Truetone/Detrola stuff from him and they were perfect

http://www.radiolaguy.com/RadioDials-page2.htm

Thanks for the link Jim.  Don't see one there that looks like the 620.  And if it's 65 bucks, that's as much as I paid for the whole radio.

It also says that it's laminated plastic, which to my reckoning sounds a colour photocopy run through a laminating machine, something that the now defunct Rock Sea enterprises was notorious for.
Regards
Arran

I can't speak to the philco dials that the Radiola Guy makes but I've bought Radiola parts from him and I thought they were quite good.

Anyone can make laminated plastic dials, it's easy. I've made some. You need to have, or know someone with, a laminator.

The trouble with laminated dials is that the light does not shine through very well. A bright LED lamp in place of the original incandescent bulb helps.

Of course, silkscreened translucent plastic dials are far superior to laminated ones if you can get them.

We're lucky to have Radio Daze, really. They have made, and are making, parts available that we would not be able to have otherwise and it is apparent they are trying hard to be a good "one-stop" shop for our radio needs.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(06-12-2016, 07:35 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Anyone can make laminated plastic dials, it's easy. I've made some. You need to have, or know someone with, a laminator.

The trouble with laminated dials is that the light does not shine through very well. A bright LED lamp in place of the original incandescent bulb helps.

Of course, silkscreened translucent plastic dials are far superior to laminated ones if you can get them.

We're lucky to have Radio Daze, really. They have made, and are making, parts available that we would not be able to have otherwise and it is apparent they are trying hard to be a good "one-stop" shop for our radio needs.

Hi Ron

I have found if you print your dial on Vellum Paper the Light will shine through.

There are different types of Vellum, I have purchased  (WHITE) # 17, #29, #36. Had good results will all. The thickness varies in the # chosen and thus amount of light allowed through.

My Source for the paper is
https://www.paperandmore.com/vellum-paper
Paper and More
4432 Enterprise St
Ste A
Fremount, CA 94538-6331

I have seen Vellum at Hobby stores ie AC Moore etc Not much choice though.

I should add I get best Results using my Xerox Laser Color Printer.

Bob T

RadioDaze made me a very good copy of my 47-1230 dial. Cant tell the difference between it and original. I sent them the old broken one and they made me a new one. Cant complain about it at all.

(06-12-2016, 07:35 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Anyone can make laminated plastic dials, it's easy. I've made some. You need to have, or know someone with, a laminator.

Ron;
  That reminds me of something I read about on the alternative forum a few years ago. A guy on there needed a dial reproduced and he found some sort of sign making business that could print letters on glass. It think that it cost him something like $39 for the one dial but once they had the graphics down the cost dropped with quantity. This must be the same sort of process that Radio Daze is using since they can make one off dials for a relatively affordable price. Now if someone could work on making reproduction etched glass dials, or mirrored dials, I would guess that they used some sort of photographic process much like etching circuit boards, fortunately original etched dials are easy to repaint so breakage is the only real issue.
Regards
Arran

My experience of RD vs original is mixed.

I got a 40-180 dial from them, and wasn't overly happy with it.  I got one from Mark, and was much happier.  But RD used real glass, while mark's was plexi.  So they get points for that.  But Mark wins in accuracy.

Here is my broken original on top, RD in the middle, and Marks on the bottom.  RD fonts are thicker, and somewhat more "rounded" than the originals.  Mark's fonts are far more accurate.  RD horizontal lines are far more thicker than Mark's.  His are much closer to the original.

Here is an original 60B (late model).  Mark doesn't reproduce this one, but RD does.  Not overly happy with this one.  Mainly because they chose a straight bar over the original wavy lines for the police/amateur marks.  And, they labeled it "air" instead of "amateur".  The font is more accurate than the 40-180 font, but the spacing/weight still seems off, especially for the "STANDARD" font.

And here is a 38-10 from RD.  Mark makes this one, but was out of material at time I needed to order it.  So I can't compare his in this case.  Out of the 3, this is probably the best RD repro.  The font again is a bit thicker than the original.  And the spacing/weight on the font on the wording on the left of the dial is poor (the original was very even for the first few lines, then got shorter, while the repro is all over the place).  The printing seems a little "jagged" though compared to the original, but that may also just be because the font is thicker.

Now, given this is a niche hobby, and RD and Mark are pretty much our only options, I guess we can't complain too much.  If you have a broken dial (like my 60B), then even a bad repro is better than nothing.  But it seems Mark is much more accurate (based solely off my 40-180 comparison, I wish I could have compared his 38-10 too).  But in the mean time, I guess we have to deal with what is available.  I wish Mark could find a new source for material, so we would have another option.  Or I wish RD would make theirs more accurate.  Either way.

With regard to the 40-180 dial and the two reproductions, did you check the part number on the corner of the dial? If they are all the same part number I am very surprised that Radio Daze would put out a reproduction dial that is as far off as that. I bought a reproduction dial for a 42-327 a few years ago, probably close to 10 years ago by now, and the graphic details were spot on. The 42-327 dials back then were screen printed by an outside firm at the time, which meant that screens had to be made for each colour applied to the dial, so if there were any errors the contracting company would have to correct them and make a new screen.
  From what I understand Radio Daze now makes the dials in house and on demand, with some sort of new printing process directly on the glass, which is why they could repro almost one off things like that Motorolla dial. Also they can correct any errors much more easily now, and are usually pretty good about doing so once they are pointed out to them. I have no explanation about that model 60 dial, but again it may be a matter or the part numbers, maybe there was an earlier version without the wave motifs?
Regards
Arran