Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Atwater-Kent 60 console

Here's the Atwater-Kent model 60 console I mentioned in a previous thread. Had it going fully for a short bit with no apparent issues, then the sound cut out. The good news is, after a recheck the speaker is just fine. My digital meter just doesn't have enough oomph to read all the windings in the field coil. It's plenty healthy. The bad news is, something on the chassis must have gave up the ghost. No funky smells or smoke, just kaput! Luckily all the expensive stuff seems fine yet. It will eventually live again. Icon_smile I guess not all radios can be like the Radiola 66 I bought years back for $35. Still works great! Icon_biggrin 

No matter where you go, there you are.

I like the AK 60, not sure why. I have one my wife wants gone, but I'm reluctant to turn it out.

[Probably because it's in a cut-down cabinet. I keep hoping for a stretcher base to turn up, but it's been a year and a half and nothing reasonable yet. Maybe a nice Majestic 90 that someone wants rid of for $40? Nope, of course not. The only things I've seen are 4 hours away and the sellers want $350-450, usually in Canada.]

The grill design on yours is kind of unusual. I can't decide if I like it. But I do like the way that cabinet is toned. I hope if you refinish it, you manage to keep the coloring close to original!

(06-18-2016, 02:33 AM)palegreenthumb Wrote:  I like the AK 60, not sure why.  I have one my wife wants gone, but I'm reluctant to turn it out.

[Probably because it's in a cut-down cabinet.  I keep hoping for a stretcher base to turn up, but it's been a year and a half and nothing reasonable yet.  Maybe a nice Majestic 90 that someone wants rid of for $40?  Nope, of course not.  The only things I've seen are 4 hours away and the sellers want $350-450, usually in Canada.]

The grill design on yours is kind of unusual.  I can't decide if I like it.  But I do like the way that cabinet is toned.  I hope if you refinish it, you manage to keep the coloring close to original!

Yes, I've seen those listed on Vancouver craigslist too, and no matter how much the sellers wish they never sell. $150-200 might be in the ballpark for a working model 60 in good shape. Of course there are also what I call the "Cocaine Induced" prices, like the idiot who thinks his pair of early CB sets is worth $800, after three years and no takers he should have figured things out by now.
   With regard to A.K model 60s they seem to have been offered with several different cabinets, same with model 55s, but one thing you could do is put out an APB on the alternative forum and see if someone has a cabinet, either a good one or a junker that you could harvest the legs and stretchers off of. I think that there is also a swap meet in the Seattle area, there was one in Steveston just recently or soon too, maybe drop into one of those.
Regards
Arran

I did just sell one of these, unrestored, but working (not guaranteed). As I was setting it up for sale it cut out. Also no drastic failure, just no sound. It turned out to be a rusty grid clip on one of the 224s. I have seen this before. Those AK clips were likely to corrode.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I had to replace a grid clip on this one before I tried it out. It was loose on one of the 24's, so I lightly squeezed it and it crumbled. I would say a capacitor or resistor gave up the ghost as the sound just faded out and that was that. Checked the tubes, even swapped tubes with no change.

No matter where you go, there you are.