Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 95 Cabinet

I'm starting the cabinet work on my 95 today.  This is the first cabinet I've done that will need several pieces of missing veneer replaced.  Simple question:  Which is better to do first:  stripping, or veneer replacement?   ... and why?

Thanks,

veneer.. Cuz I said so.... Icon_lol

I do it because when you strip you can get crud in cracks or creases. Mainly I do it because after veneering when you strip it actually helps to match the veneer color... Plus when stripping you can catch the veneer and rip it even worse...

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Thanks Kirk,

I was leaning that way, for those reasons, but thought I'd check with the experts.

I have a few questions about the doors on the model 95.

1) Does anyone know what type of wood was used for the 'accents' (I.e. the lighter color wood)?

2) Is what you see in the pictures more or less the actual color of that accent wood?  Would they have used any toner on these?  I'm worried if I strip and re-lacquer, will it look right?

3) Do those pull knobs just unscrew to remove?  They don't go all the way through the door, so I'm thinking that they probably screw in.

Thanks,

The veneer was birdseye maple I believe, if it isn't it would be a good match. The pulls may screw in or then may be nailed, but probably have screw threads on the back side if no nails show.
Regards
Arran

Thank you Arran. Much appreciated.

What is the best way to get rid of a cigarette burn on a cabinet top? I tried lightly sanding, but didn't make much progress and I don't want to go through the veneer. Is there a better way?

Oxalic acid MIGHT do it..
It will bleach the darkness but burns have cooked the wood so I am not sure about that one...

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Thanks Kirk,

Do you think bleach would do it?

Well, I tried bleaching the cigarette burn.  I think it lightened the color of the burn mark somewhat.

Next questions:  The lighter color wood on this cabinet seems to be birdseye maple.  I bought some and it is a good match (thanks again Arran).  Would the birds eye maple need to be grain filled?  It seems to have a much finer grain than Walnut does, but not sure if still needed.   I don't want to darken that wood if I don't need to do so.

Also, there is a crack in the birdseye maple in one place on the front of the radio.  If grain filler isn't recommended for this wood, what would be the best way to fill that crack?