Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Airline console

I just bought this Airline console. It has 12 tubes with an 82 rectifier. I can't find a model number , although I have not pulled the chassis yet.
Hopefully someone can tell me what model it is.
I found out that it is model 62-89.
 Dan in Calgary

Attached Files Image(s)

Living in Calgary Alberta

Beautiful, Dan! That was the fanciest dial Airline sold that year, with the tuning meter in it. Very cool!

Very nice radio Dan. I really like that dial and the overall design of the cabinet. Icon_thumbup

Oooh, very nice! Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.

Saw this on eBay this morning and knew the dial looked familiar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Airline-...SwAvJW9ynK

Craig R

Is that duct tape on the speaker cone? Ed

Speaking of speakers, that speaker looks a lot like the one in the Crosley I just got, minus the output transformer.

It looks like that one might be a different model.  Maybe one step down?
  Mine has an 82 rectifier and another 45 tube. Also , that one does not have the tuning meter.

Living in Calgary Alberta

^^^  I knew the chassis was different but what caught by eye was the similarity of the dial and controls.

Craig R

(06-23-2016, 06:57 PM)Jayce Wrote:  Speaking of speakers, that speaker looks a lot like the one in the Crosley I just got, minus the output transformer.

Jayce;
  They were probably made by the same manufacturer, other then Philco, RCA, G.E, and Atwater Kent I don't know of too many radio manufacturers that manufactured their own speakers. Speaker manufacture was something that most radio companies preferred to outsource, probably because they thought that the extra tooling costs were not justified by the volume. Sometimes you can identify who made the speaker by the shape of the basket and the rear bracket that holds the pole piece and field coil/magnet.
Regards
Arran

(06-23-2016, 09:16 PM)Dan Walker Wrote:     It looks like that one might be a different model.  Maybe one step down?
  Mine has an 82 rectifier and another 45 tube. Also , that one does not have the tuning meter.

Dan;
  It looks like a ten tube chassis, so probably a cheaper model, the speaker is smaller as well. One thing that I will say is that I like the styling of the ten tube fleabay set a little more, it also looks like the finish is all original which is nice, it comes in useful as a reference for restoration purposes.
Regards
Arran

The eBay radio is Airline model number is 62-106. It's visible in the upper right corner of the label if you blow it up.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/montgomery_62_106.html

Interesting how non-majority radio manufacturers in the day combined style and technical elements.
Cabinet looks Philco 118H to me and the tube shields and chassis have Zenith like coloration.

Nice find.

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

(06-24-2016, 02:46 PM)PhilcoMike Wrote:  Interesting how non-majority radio manufacturers in the day combined style and technical elements.
Cabinet looks Philco 118H to me and the tube shields and chassis have Zenith like coloration.

Nice find.

Mike

Not to mention that the dial shape puts me in mind of US Apex/Gloritone. It looks like the light moves behind the dial just like the US Gloritone console I have.

(06-24-2016, 02:46 PM)PhilcoMike Wrote:  Interesting how non-majority radio manufacturers in the day combined style and technical elements.

Nice find.

Mike

Wells Gardner and Brand Z were both based in Chicago, so it isn't too surprising that one would influence the other, or that they might share parts suppliers, if for no other reason then the employees of one company might go off an work for the other. If you look at Brand Z and Motorola TV chassis from the 1960s, you would swear that they came out of the same factory.
Regards
Arran