Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sudden Silence GE 107

I was at my bench last night working on a replacement loop antenna on a GE 107. I was getting along OK till I noticed that even with the loop detached that the speaker was emitting a crackle/static. I'd tap the speaker and it would stop. Eventually the radio stopped playing stations altogether.

Now, the speaker only makes a faint hiss regardless of volume settings (his does get louder with volume increase). When I adjust the volume I get sporadic bursts of static and the pilot light dims. When testing pin voltages the speaker crackles (the voltages all look good). When I touched the volume pot with my multimeter I get static....

Any suggestions? Speaker shot (it still makes noise)? Audio transformer? Volume pot? Oscillator coil...mine has 4 terminals and 3 have continuity between themselves while the fourth has no continuity to the other three. I don't know if that's right. Something else?

Well...the flickering with the volume control was figured out. Bad ground connection. That's fixed but still nothing but low hum and static from speaker.

The easiest thing to do first is check the tubes by swapping them out.  You might also want to double check for other bad connections;  look the chassis over very carefully and re-solder any point that might be suspect.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Figured it out. The tuning cap padder stuck in a bad spot. Some cleaning revived it.